SMOKING

2005 Ford E-Series Van

rgbedding

September, 6, 2010 AT 8:10 AM

Brakes problem
2005 Ford E-Series Van 68000 miles

I had a rear brake caliper leak. I installed a rebuilt caliper, blead the line. Was getting alot of smoke while driving, also felt a littlew vibration at about 30mph. I took off the wheel and figured I put too much grease on the back of the pads and slides. I cleaned up tghe residual grease. Im still getting smoke and the rotor and all connecting parts are getting very hot. I checked the caliper to see if it lets go when the pedal is released, it does. How far is the brake pads to be from the rotor when pedal is released? Is the replacement caliper defective? Please answe asap.

madmike1735

September, 17, 2010 AT 8:30 PM

When the caliper is released from the rotor, the pad will always maintain some sort of contact with the rotor. If your getting smoke, then its burning off all the grease that you used during installation. You stated you greased the slides, as long as those slid in and out of the caliper mounting bracket easily, there is no reason for the caliper to get stuck. Unless its defective. How many miles have you put on this since the brake job? It may need adequate time to break in, and burn off any residue. Also, you replaced both rotors, and pads correct?

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Front Pad-Rotor Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma