INSTALLATION

1993 Ford E-Series Van

KindredsHeart22

November, 9, 2010 AT 6:12 PM

Brakes problem
1993 Ford E-Series Van V8

I am in the process of installing both front and rear brakes on my grandfathers 1993 econoline 150 van. My issue is that after spreading my calipers as wide as the tool will get them, I can not get the new pads sitting inside the calipers to sit properly over the rotor. My rear brakes look as though they will be by far easier to install than the fronts (a diagram would make it even easier). Any advice on this to make it easier on me? I have done the brakes on my 1998 ford taurus with no issue in comparason to this.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Brenda M. Gray

billymac

November, 9, 2010 AT 7:06 PM

Hi BRENDA.
YOU MIGHT TRY LOOSENING THE BLEEDER AND COMPRESSING AT THE SAME TIME. MOST LIKELY THE CALIPERS ARE NOT COMPRESSED ALL THE WAY.

ravensanctuary

November, 10, 2010 AT 4:21 PM

Hi there

To be sure you have the calipers in ALL the way use a C clamp and the caliper piston should be COMPLETELY FLAT against the caliper frame.

If you have to fool with those " shims" that ford likes to use on some of thier models that can be, at times, a bit problematic to hold the caliper frame in place use a bit of double stick tape on the " shims" and it can, at times, help to do the same on the new pads to hold them in the caliper frame ok as you set the frame back into place on the rotor.

Hope this and the other reply help you out Brenda

Replace Your Brake Caliper Like a Pro
Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford