2001 Ford Crown Victoria Engine Stalls

FORD1929ROADSTER
  • 2001 FORD CROWN VICTORIA
My engine stalls periodically mostly after I start it for the 1st start up of the day. Periodically it runs normal. I carefully check and cleaned the mass air flow sensor per instruction and check the wires in the air mass sensor to ensure its not damaged and replaced the air filter… after doing so the engine seemed to run and perform great. Next morning it started and idled fine. The next day at 1st start up the engine continues to stall. I did notice black smoke from the exhaust after starting it again from a stall. Other days it seems to run fine. Is it possibly the mass air flow sensor going bad?
Thanks for your time,
Ron
Friday, January 29th, 2010 AT 7:58 AM

MERLIN2021
Check fuel pressure and do a leak down test, you might have a leaking injector, I sent a PDF via email.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator
Friday, January 29th, 2010 AT 8:17 AM
FORD1929ROADSTER
Merlin thank you for the prompt response. Fuel checked ok. Any other advice?
Ron
Friday, January 29th, 2010 AT 9:07 AM
MERLIN2021
Did they check for leak down? Injector sticking open may give this problem, or the pressure regulator. Black smoke shows too much fuel. Check the ECT, This acts as a choke on SEFI vehicles.
Friday, January 29th, 2010 AT 12:10 PM
FORD1929ROADSTER
Yes sir leak down turned out ok.
Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010 AT 5:24 PM
MERLIN2021
The IAC(idle air control) on Fords can do this, who ever checked the fuel system may be able to do an IAC count, or try removing it and see if any carbon is holding the pintle open, and clean the throttle body with throttle body cleaner. Is your check engine light on periodically?
Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010 AT 5:38 PM
FORD1929ROADSTER
No sir the engine light has not come on. I did tap on the throttle body and the engine came to life (normal). Sounds like something was stuck in the body and became unstuck when I tap on it. So far so good. I still dont have faith in what happened. Guess I will get some cleaner for the throttle body next.
Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010 AT 5:47 PM
MERLIN2021
The IAC I mentioned is bolted to the throttle body with 2 small screws, It controls. You guessed it, idle speed! And can make the car hard to start, shake at idle, and stall when idling or coasting.
Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010 AT 5:53 PM
FORD1929ROADSTER
Sounds like my problem. Where is it located on the engine?
Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010 AT 6:12 PM
WAY2OLD
Looks something like this. It is located to the rear center of the throttle body.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/382404_ford_iac_1.jpg

Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010 AT 7:18 PM

Related Engine Stall While Driving Content