2001 Ford Crown Victoria Car starts but stalls

CV01
  • 2001 FORD CROWN VICTORIA
I have an 2001 Ford Crown Victoria with 56,000 miles. The car was previously owned by salesman at the ford dealership so I do know that the car was taken very good care of and maintained on a regular basis as I have the printout of maintenance done.

The problem, which doesn't happen all the time, is that the car starts on the first crank but immediatly stalls unless the accelerator is kept engaged. I have noticed that while the engine is trying to stall out that the volts gauge is irratic, going up and down with all accessories in the car turned off but the gauge is fine when car runs right and battery and alternator are both fine.

Usually after 5 minutes or so of keeping the car at a higher idle it will stay running on its own, but then when the car is turned off after reaching a destination and the car is restarted the problem again occurs.

Once I get the car to stay running it does not stall while sitting at a red light or being parked even though the idle seems lower than normal. There was one time when this happened and when I returned home from errands I left the car running while I unloaded groceries because I was going to open the hood and see if I could find the problem when all of a sudden I heard the normal idle kick in. The engine runs smooth and fine other than this irratating problem that I can't seem to figure out.

I am on a fixed income so that makes it difficult to run out and buy new parts just to find out that wasn't the problem in the first place.

Any help you could give concerning this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Lynn
Sunday, June 15th, 2008 AT 8:27 PM

JACK42
Sounds like the Idle Air Control Valve may be going out on you. Fairly comon for Fords to haev this problem. Also try cleaning out the throttle bore with carb cleaner and a rag, these 2 things should restore the idle quality
Monday, June 16th, 2008 AT 7:45 AM
CV01
Jack,

Thank you very much for the quick reply, and yes you are correct about it being the IAC.

When I went to use the car today the same problem occurred on starting. When I finally got it to a point where it would stay running without my foot on the pedal I opened the hood. I have always been a bit of a backyard mechanic with the older cars, so decided to tap on a few things with the end of the screwdriver. Well as soon as I tapped on one thing the idle picked right up to normal and the car ran great afterwards even after a few stops and starting the engine again.

I wasn't able to find any diagrams online anywhere so had no idea what it was that I tapped on that made the engine run so good, so I stopped at the local advanced auto parts store and had them come out and look to verify for me that it was the IAC. As I stated earlier I'm on a very limited income and I can't afford to buy the wrong part. Lol As it is I will have to wait until my next disability check arrives in July to get the part.

Now, from what I could see of the IAC it looks fairly easy to replace which I am hoping I will be able to do myself with a few ordinary tools as I called the dealership today and they quoted $350 to replace it and that would take half my check for the month.

Is there anything special I need to know or do before I attempt to replace the IAC myself?

Lynn
Monday, June 16th, 2008 AT 8:40 PM
JACK42
Nothing special for this job, just two small bolts.I do suggest using a Motorcraft part even though it may cost a ittle more, you will save most of that on labor by doing it yourself
Tuesday, June 17th, 2008 AT 7:39 AM