Welcome to 2CarPros.
Have you confirmed that fuel pressure is within spec and you are getting spark to the plugs? Does the engine sound any different when it is cranking? First, take a look through this link to see if it helps.
Next, I need you to confirm both fuel pressure and ignition spark. Here are links that show how it is done:
Next, if you have proper fuel pressure and a good spark to the plugs, confirm that the injectors are getting power. The easiest way to do it is simply see if it will start with starting fluid. If it does, then the problem is fuel related. If it still doesn't, suspect spark.
Here are the directions specific to this vehicle for testing fuel pressure. The specs are included in the directions. Also, the picture shows how to release the fuel line for testing.
FUEL PRESSURE TEST
Fuel Pressure Test
Special tools, testers and auxiliary items required
fuel line adapter set (V.A.G. 1318/17A). These tools may be substituted with an equivalent aftermarket tool and are also available for rental or purchase through Volkswagen.
In line Fuel pressure gauge with shutoff. (high pressure).
Battery voltage 12.5 V
Function and voltage supply for the Fuel Pump is OK.
Fuel tank at least 1/4 filled.
Ignition switched OFF.
- Perform a preliminary check to verify the customers complaint. Refer to => [ Preliminary Check ] See: Computers and Control Systems > Scan Tool Testing and Procedures > Preliminary Check
Fuel system is under pressure! Before opening the system, place rags around the connection area. Then release the pressure by carefully loosening the connection.
- Disconnect fuel supply line - 2 - at the supply location and catch any fuel coming out with a shop towel
Pull circlip upward to unlock fuel line
- Install a fuel pressure gauge with appropriate adapters.
- Open shut off valve on fuel gauge.
- Switch ignition ON and OFF repeatedly until fuel pressure gauge stops increasing pressure.
- Read fuel pressure on the gauge.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF
Specified value: 3.5 to 5 bar
If specification is exceeded:
- Check the fuel line between the fuel delivery unit and the supply line in the engine compartment for bends and blockages
If no malfunction in fuel return line is found:
The pressure relief valve and the fuel filter are integrated in the fuel level sensor 2 G169 with the suction jet pump and cannot be replaced individually.
- If the pressure relieve valve in the fuel filter is defective, replace fuel level sensor 2, G169 and the suction jet pump.
If the specified value was Not obtained (low pressure) :
- Fuel Pump is faulty, replace Fuel Delivery Unit (fuel pump). Refer to the repair information.
After the repair work, the following work steps must be performed in the following sequence:
1. Check the DTC memory. Refer to => [ Diagnostic Mode 03 - Read DTC Memory ] .
2. If necessary, erase the DTC memory. Refer to => [ Diagnostic Mode 04 - Erase DTC Memory ] .
3. If the DTC memory was erased, generate readiness code. Refer to => [ Readiness Code ] See: Computers and Control Systems > Monitors, Trips, Drive Cycles and Readiness Codes > Readiness Code.
If everything checks good, do a compression test to confirm the timing isn't off and compression is within spec.
Picture 2 shows specs.
Let me know what you find.
Images (Click to enlarge)
Friday, April 12th, 2019 AT 8:28 PM