Engine coolant sensor location and replacement?

FAMILY68
  • 2013 FORD F-150
Where is the engine coolant sensor located?
Friday, January 24th, 2020 AT 10:31 AM

STEVE W.
Ford doesn't use a conventional style coolant temperature sensor, they use a cylinder head temperature sender. It is on the rear of the engine on the right side above the bell-housing flange on the 5.0 engine. What is the issue you are having?
Friday, January 24th, 2020 AT 11:53 AM
GSIVILS12
  • 2013 FORD F-150
I am trying to locate my cylinder head temperature sensor.

I have the Ecoboost engine. My cooling fans have begun to run on high speed only a couple seconds after starting the truck. I believe my CHT sensor has gone out causing my fans to come on as a fail safe. I have had no error codes come up nor have I had any engine temperature issues. I have noticed a decrease in fuel efficiency however.
+1
Monday, August 3rd, 2020 AT 3:29 PM (Merged)
KEN

I have found out that the sensor is in the rear of the cylinder head Here is a guide that will give you an idea of what you are in for when doing the job.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/coolant-temperature-sensor-cts-replacement

Here are some diagrams to help you see for yourself where the sensors are I have included all different engine for that turck so anyone coming to this post can be helped.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Let us know what happens and please upload pictures or videos of the problem.

Cheers, Ken
+4
PREZAZADEH
On 3.5L Ecoboost, it is on the passenger side above the flywheel housing. You can get to it from the top of the engine. I had to lay on the engine and reach back there to get to it.
Or you can remove the wheel well liner to get behind the engine. I did it both ways it was easier to screw it back in, from the wheel well.
+5
KEN
Excellent addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)
LEROYBUBBA
  • 2012 FORD F-150
Where is the cylinder head sensor located?
PATENTED_REPAIR_PRO
At the rear of the right cylinder head back near the flywheel/flex plate. Here is a diagram and a guide to help you step by step with diagrams BELOW to show your coolant sensor location.

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
-2
LEROYBUBBA
How do you get to it? Do you need to remove the passenger fender well?
+4
PATENTED_REPAIR_PRO
I bet if you mark, then remove the hood you can right down in there and remove it, but honestly, I do not think that you would have to. I know you probably will not have to remove the fender.
Have you even attempted to reach it yet?
LEROYBUBBA
Yes, I tried to get to it. Can get my hand on it but having trouble disconnecting the plug. Know I will have trouble getting socket in it.

Decided to change it because cooling fans would not kick on. After checking fuses, relays and making sure fans worked I found the weep hole on the water pump had antifreeze leaning out of it. Yesterday I Changed the water pump and replaced a 185 degree thermostat (changed one month ago due to overheating) with a 165 degree thermostat, the fans now come on. No overheating and noticed gas mileage improved. Old pump impeller good shape and did not slide on shaft but pump bearings had slack. What fixed the overheating issue?
-1
PATENTED_REPAIR_PRO
Probably because the cooling fans now come on. If you did not do anything specific to make them come back on, perhaps wiggling around those wires at the cylinder head temperature sensor caused the fans to come back on. If so, you might have a loose connection there.
+1
LEROYBUBBA
Thank you.
PATENTED_REPAIR_PRO
You are welcome!
THEMIGHTYSORE
  • 2010 FORD F-150
Looking for location of coolant temperature sensor.
Monday, August 3rd, 2020 AT 3:30 PM (Merged)
KASEKENNY1
This is a pretty common question for these engines. You have what is called a cylinder head temperature sensor. Exact same thing as an engine coolant temperature sensor, it is just in the cylinder head. Now the unfortunate part, it is under the intake manifold. If you take a look at the picture you will see the intake ports are exposed in order to access it.

Let me know if you need more info. Thanks
+1
THEMIGHTYSORE
Very much appreciated. Unfortunately, this takes it right out of my comfort zone for executing at home. At least I have a general grasp of the labor involved, which helps when communicating with mechanics. Thanks again.
KASEKENNY1
Haha. I totally understand. I do a lot of my own stuff as well and I think my best ability is to know when not to do something and that is normally pluming. I am scared of floods behind my walls and not knowing it until it is too late.

Let us know if you need more info or what it turns out to be. Thanks
CRAB69
  • 2009 FORD F-150
I have error codes P1289 and P1290; high input and low input.

And is it fairly easy to replace?

Thank you for your time,
chuck
+1
SCGRANTURISMO

I have included the information that you requested in the diagrams down below. I have also included diagnostic information on DTC's P1289 and P1290 as well. Please go through these guides and get back to us with what you are able to find out.

Thanks,
Alex
2CarPros
+1
CRAB69
Thank you for the rapid response. I will have to check the location and feasibility of my replacing it tomorrow. Again, thank you for your efforts.

Sponsored links