No starter operation the engine does not crank over?

NOD NEFFETS
  • 2003 FORD F-150
Started just fine, got in to drive home from work, no speedometer, tachometer, oil, battery, gauges, or windshield wipers drove it for approximately 7 miles decided to pull into a gas station to turn it off them back on see if my gauges would work, and that's when it would not restart. It turns over just fine, no fire. No windshield wipers with key in on position, but the work in accessory, dome light only works briefly after I insert key, locks intermittently unlock and lock themselves. When I first insert key and wiggle it back and forth I hear the ding briefly. Headlights work just fine.
Tuesday, February 18th, 2020 AT 10:52 PM

ASEMASTER6371
Good morning,

The first thing I would do is check the battery and make sure it is not bad. You need 12.4 to 12.6 volts.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-battery-load-test

Beyond that, I would look for codes in the body control module. That is what controls all the items that have an issue.

Wednesday, February 19th, 2020 AT 3:01 AM
SCGRANTURISMO

This could be a problem with your vehicle's Generic Electronic Module[GEM]. Before we condemn the GEM, let's take a look at Ground #201 in the left hand side foot well and make sure that it is clean, corrosion free, tight, and making good metal to metal contact first. This is the ground that the GEM is grounded with. In the diagrams down below I have included the GEM wiring diagrams, a diagram of the GEM's location as well as a diagram of the location of Ground #201. Please check this ground and get back to us with what you find out.

Thanks,
Alex
2CarPros
+1
Wednesday, February 19th, 2020 AT 3:16 AM
NOD NEFFETS
SCGRANTURISMO you nailed it. Thank you so much.
Thursday, February 20th, 2020 AT 10:40 AM
NOD NEFFETS
I relocated the ground ans everything is functioning properly. I really appreciate it.
Thursday, February 20th, 2020 AT 10:41 AM
FI1268
  • 2003 FORD F-150
I have a 2003 F150 that won't start. It makes a clicking sound and headlights are very dim. After I try to start it there is a clicking sound in the dash for a few seconds. I have replaced the starter relay and this did not sove the problem. It appears to be some sort of relay problem but which one?
Monday, January 18th, 2021 AT 2:03 PM (Merged)
BUDDYCRAIGG
With the head lights being dim, I'm inclined to think of a weak battery, or poor electrical connections. this guide can help you fix it

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/everything-goes-dead-when-engine-is-cranked

Please run down this guide and report back.
FI1268
That was the problem thanks for the guide this site is great!
BUDDYCRAIGG
Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.
-1
PATZKE
  • 2003 FORD F-150
When I start and stop alot, as in going store to store, when the engine gets warm it seems to hesitate when trying to start it
Describe what you mean by hesitates. Is the starter delayed in engaging? Does the engine crank excessively?
PATZKE
When I turn the key the starter doesn't crank right away but only when everything is hot
I would start by checking the starter relay. See if it is working properly. If you open the hood, you will find the relay box (I thing on the passenger side). Switch the starter relay with another one with the same part number and see if the problem changes.

Let me know what you find.
DAVESIVA
  • 2003 FORD F-150
I removed the fuel injectors reassemble, the truck won't
crank just a rattle behind the engine. Sounds like when the starter is bad.
Welcome to 2CarPros.

Is it a clicking you are hearing? If so, perform a general load test on the battery. Also, before doing it, confirm that the battery terminals are clean and tight.

If the battery checks good, I need you to check to see if the starter is getting 12 volts at the solenoid. Here is a link that shows how that is done:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/starter-not-working-repair

Do these two things and let me know the results.

SKEPTICHAN
  • 2003 FORD F-150
The problem started when I left in the morning, my windows, radio, and dome light stopped working. I got home and attempted to fix the problem. I was not getting any voltage to the ignition wire going from my radio so I jumped a different wire and all electronics working again. I attempted to start the car and nothing happened which I thought was very peculiar. So far I have obviously checked the battery, starter, and ignition switch. The only thing I have discovered is that the starter relay in the hood is not getting power when the key is turned to ignition. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. One more thing, jumping the starter does crank it and clipping the relay also cranks it.
Monday, January 18th, 2021 AT 2:04 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
Good evening,

I attached a wiring diagram for you to view.

Check the 2 fuses listed for power on both sides. The 40 amp is a constant hot. The other fuse has power only in the start position.

+1
SKEPTICHAN
Currently look at slot 21 and there is no 15 amp in the slot.
ASEMASTER6371
What is in the slot? Do you have power on one of the lugs with the key in the start position?

Did you check the 40 amp fuse?

+1
SKEPTICHAN
I appreciate quick help. I wasn t aware that the fuse fell out. I replaced the fuse with a 15 amp and started up right away.
SKEPTICHAN
I did check the 40 amp and it did have voltage.

Sponsored links