Overheating

JHOLMBERG
  • 2005 DODGE RAM
I have the Ram 1500 4.7L V8. My engine temp is fine, but when at a light or stopped in traffic for any amount of time, the temperature starts creeping up. If I put the truck in neutral and rev the engine, the tempo will start coming back down. I replaced the thermostat as well as flushed the radiator but the problem continues. I am fairly certain it is not a head gasket issue because I changed the oil and I saw no signs of coolant in the oil. Do you have any idea what the problem could be?
Sunday, February 21st, 2010 AT 3:19 PM

This sounds like classic fan clutch problem. Here are is a guide and a video to help us fix the problem.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-overheating-or-running-hot

and

https://youtu.be/N_-MLVlBHk8

Please let us know what happens
Saturday, February 27th, 2010 AT 12:03 AM
TURBOJAY
Thanks for this post I got a new fan clutch for $121.00 and watched the video all fixed! I love this site.
Saturday, December 15th, 2018 AT 11:43 AM
ED ZEVE;Y
  • 2005 DODGE RAM
My dodge 2005 1500 pickup with the hemi v8 overheats when ideling. If I fast idel at high rpm the heat goes down to normal. Also if I am moving down the road the heat is normal. But as soon as I stop within a few minutes the temp starts to rise.
Saturday, December 15th, 2018 AT 11:44 AM (Merged)
If it only happens at an idle, it sounds like the fan clutch is bad. It engages the fan causing it to spin faster based on under hood temps.

Let me know what you find or if you have other questions.

-1
GWINFIELD2
  • 2005 DODGE RAM
Truck overheated on highway. Turned out that radiator cap was loose and I lost fluid. Refilled radiator and reservoir started truck but was still overheating. Shut off truck waited a while restarted truck still ran hot, but I gave the radiator hose a squeeze and temperature went back to normal. Was it possibly an air pocket? Or is my thermostat going bad?
This apparently was caused by the loose radiator cap, and that is not going to damage the thermostat. You are right about the air pocket. I do not know why you did not list the engine size when you have an engine-related problem, but the V-8 engines usually self-bleed by themselves. If it is necessary to bleed the cooling system, there will usually be a bleeder screw on the thermostat housing. When there is not, look for a threaded plug or a temperature sensor on or near that housing that can be removed. If you need to remove a sensor, unplug it and do that while the ignition switch is off to avoid setting a diagnostic fault code that could confuse someone in the near future. Most fault codes self-erase after fifty engine starts, but it is easier to just avoid setting them in the first place.
+1
GWINFIELD2
Thanks. Sorry about forgetting to list engine size. Appreciate the feedback.
KEN
Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken
MDBROWN6208
  • 2005 DODGE RAM
Engine overheats on uphill grades. Changed thermostat and purged radiator and engine. Normal temp on flat roads.
If it only happens on up hill grades, are you sure the radiator was clean enough when you flushed it? Did any of the tubes inside looked plugged?

Also, do you hear any pinging from the valves under a load and is the fan clutch working properly?

Let me know.

MDBROWN6208
That is one of my concerns, even when the temp hand is reading hot or in the red, the radiator is cool enough to touch, even after it was plugged. I don't hear any pinging. I haven't checked the fan clutch.
What I suggest is to replace the temperature sending unit. Based on your description, it doesn't sound like it is actually overheating. You may just have a bad sensor.

Let me know what you find.
MDBROWN6208
I noticed when I hauled over 4,000 gross weight. It put more strain on the motor and when I checked the radiator it felt warmer then before. The coolant is low but I don't believe it is leaking. I haven't added any more. What I think is the radiator is still clogged and not letting the coolant circulate through the radiator. Let me know what you think.
GRADAM
  • 2005 DODGE RAM
I have been having problems with my 2005 dodge ram 4.7L 2wd overheating. When I am moving, the temp is fine, but when idling it slowly overheats. I noticed two things. One, there is a tiny tiny leak where the thermostat housing meets the engine block, two the electric fan is not kicking on as a backup fan. It is my understanding the the electric fan serves two purposes, one to turn on when AC is on (which it does every time) and two, to backup when engine is getting hot (which it is NOT doing). What is causing this overheating or did I just answer my own question? Something needs to tell the fan to turn on.
If it is low, you should fill it. However, it could be that the radiator is still plugged. If there is a radiator shop near you, have them "rod it out".

Let me know if that helps.
Check and test the thermostat, engine coolant temperature sensor and fan relay-
GUNNER_82@HOTMAIL.COM
  • 2005 DODGE RAM
Why would truck just start overheating
BMRFIXIT
Check coolant level
add if needed

check coolant fan operation

check and replace the thermostat
PDCON37
  • 2005 DODGE RAM
My truck over heats on hot days or when towing my wave runner, its ok on cooler days. I have replaced the tstat and water pump, have changed the coolant and made sure to burp it really well, also flushed the radiator. Please help
Check radiator for cold spots with fan disconnected and engine hot and off. If you feel any cold spots radiator is no good and needs replaced. Otherwise have coolant system pressure checked for internal leaks.