2002 Dodge Ram Overheating

GADAWG
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
Overheats only at highway speeds. Runs normally in town driving. Already flushed coolant and replaced. Replaced thermostat. No unusual indications other than overheating. Runs smoothly, no noises, no leaks. Water seems to be circulating ok.
Monday, January 7th, 2008 AT 6:02 AM

Try bleeding the cooling system

Always bleed air from cooling system after replacing coolant. Set heater for maximum heat. Remove radiator cap. Loosen drain plug and remove drain bolt (if equipped) from engine block. Drain coolant reservoir. Fill coolant reservoir to MAX mark with 50/50 water-coolant mixture. Loosen bleed bolt and fill radiator up to base of filler neck. Close bleed bolt when coolant flows out without bubbles. Tighten bleed bolt. With radiator cap removed, start and operate engine to normal operating temperature. Add coolant if necessary and check for leaks.
Monday, January 7th, 2008 AT 6:05 AM
GADAWG
Do you mean to loosen the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator and then the bleed plug just until the reservoir is drained? Close the drain plug and refill the reservoir until full again and run until no bubbles are coming from the bleed plug. Should the cap be on during this process?
Monday, January 7th, 2008 AT 12:23 PM
Drain coolant reservoir. Empty it out-okay if it has a bleed bolt loosen it and fill the radiator till it starts flowing out of the bleeder bolt with no bubbles.

Or just remove radiator cap and run engine till it gets up to operating temperature and keep filling it make sure the heater is on-till it no longer can take the coolant then put cap back on.
Monday, January 7th, 2008 AT 1:46 PM
GADAWG
Followed your advice on coolant but it didn't help. I've since replaced the fan clutch, still no luck. This problem seems to kick in with just 5 or 10 minutes of 70mph speeds. I can drive 15-20 minutes to work at 55-60mph and it stays right on the midline. Radiator fins are clean.
Tuesday, January 8th, 2008 AT 4:53 PM
I've tried the simple ones-Time to use heavy artillery

Get it block and pressure tested this will tell the tale what's causing it.
Tuesday, January 8th, 2008 AT 5:39 PM
WFFL
Dude:

I had the same exact problem! Noone could figure it out. One eprson told me it was the water pump, another said tune-up. No leaks, good compression, etc. Etc. Then as my wife was driving through the tunnel in Boston the engine went. Come to find out it was the head gasket. I did a lot of research & spoke to quite a few people that had the same problem. If your engine is the 4.7 litre I have been told it'sd a common problem but Dodge won't admit it. They told me it was tough luck as the 100,000 mile warranty had expired. Don't ever buy a Dodge vehicle again! If I was you I would have the head gaskets replaced or pay $4,500 for a new engine.
Tuesday, January 15th, 2008 AT 7:34 AM