A/C quits working

RYAN303
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 with a V10 automatic. When I start off with a cool motor my a/c works fine. Then about ten minutes into my trip it starts blowing warm air. I noticed that when my a/c in on regular the a/c clutch keeps spinning and the a/c lines ice over. When I switch to max a/c it will free spin again the lines defrost. Now obviously I can't observe this while i'm driving and when the truck is parked with the hood up everything works fine. Only happens when I drive. Any thoughts?
Sunday, July 26th, 2009 AT 7:43 PM

What happens is the system is low on refrigerant and fails while the engine RPM's are higher as you drive down the road. This video will help you confirm the issue by checking the refrigerant level.

https://youtu.be/uZrQCGwXfek

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
+2
Sunday, July 26th, 2009 AT 7:47 PM
AMCKEY
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
My 2001 dodge ram 1500 only blows out warm air when the air conditioning is on. Air conditioning system vaccumed down, refilled with 2.8 pounds of refrigerant, compressor clutch cycling continuiously, system leak test good, no leaks, lines and accumalator gets very cold, replaced heater and air conditioning controls assembly switch.
Tuesday, August 14th, 2018 AT 3:33 PM (Merged)
Hi amckey, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Probable causes could be the blend air door on the HVAC unit may be stuck in the heat position blocking off the air flow so no air goes through the evaporator, also the cabin pollen filter that is blocking off airflow, another possibility would be a fault in the automatic climate control system such as AC temperature sensor or the HVAC control module.
LEDBETTER1207
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
I turn the a/c on it starts cold. After about 10seconds it goes to warm(not full heat and with an anti freeze smell) then after 1min it goes back to cold. The cycle keeps on. It seems that when I rev the engine, the warm air blowes out sooner from the vents.
FIXITMR
The smell likely means your heater core is leaking. Could be very small just enough to create odor. The cycling could be vacuum controls problem in system if so equipped.
RICKRODT
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
Wondering what is wrong since the a/c starts and works for a while but then shuts off?
When it stops, is the compressor still running?
RICKRODT
When the a/c stops working, the compressor is not turning. When you are driving and the a/c is working, the cold air is fine but you can feel when the compressor kicks out as the air starts to smell humid. If you stop the car and let it rest, then when you start up, the compressor will work for about 10 to 15 minutes. The times vary.
+1
I need you to check something. When it stops working, check to see if there is power to the compressor clutch. Let me know what you find. You can just a test light.
RICKRODT
Compressor has two wires going to it, which one do I test or is it + and - on those wires? What voltage should I get? 12V?
PREACHER2313
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
Air Conditioning problem
2001 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

My A/C runs fine for about 15-20 minutes then the compressor shuts off and only blows regular air. The air after shutdown is quite humid. Once the engine has cooled for a couple hours, it will do the same thing over again. I had a recharge a month ago and the same thing is happening still. Am I in for an expensive repair or is there another issue I should look at before replacing the compressor?
You want the + and it should be 12 volts.
Hi preacher2313, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Possiblities here:

Could be freezing up due to air and moisture forming ice and blocking off the orifice tube try having it vacuumed and see what happens to include other areas such as a faulty low pressure cut off switch, faulty clutch, faulty clutch relay, AC switch, bad temperature sensor and the HVAC control module
RICKRODT
Which wire is the +, they are not red and black? And if I find that the + wire does not have 12 volts? I understand that if the + has 12V and the compressor is not on, then the electric clutch is bad and needs replaced. Can I power the clutch with 12V and see if it will work?
Tuesday, August 14th, 2018 AT 3:34 PM (Merged)
ED WAITE
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
I have a heating problem, the vehicle comes up to temperature fine. I have a new thermostat, new rad, new water pump, new heater core but it still does not seem to blow hot air. Temperatures outside are in the -5 degrees C and I cannot get the cabin to warm up. We completed the dye test and everything seems normal. Any suggestion on what the problem might be would be great. Thanks.
HAs the blend door been checked?
ED WAITE
Yes the blend door has been checked and it is operating fine.
DROBICH
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
We recently replaced the radiator, since that repair I have noticed the AC intermitantly not cooling properly. Sometimes when I first start the truck it cools then 6-7 mins later it starts blowing warm air. Sometimes it doesn't even start with cool air it just blows warm. Could we have messed something up when the radiator was replaced, I had to remove some stuff right behind the fan to get the fan cassing off. Thinking maybe it was the AC compressor?

Thanks,
Rich
Rich:
Have you had the freon tested. It sounds like it is low. If there isn't enough head pressure in the compressor, it's won't work properly.
+1
REJREJ
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. Within the last year whenever I turn the a/c on it will work fine and after about 5 or 10 minutes will start to blow hot air as if I turned the a/c off and had the fan blowing outside air.
At first I started turning the a/c off and then back on which would temporarily fix the problem. With time it has gradually gotten worse where the a/c will not turn back to blowing cold air when I turn the unit on and off. I have also noticed when the fan is blowing the hot air, it doesn't blow the air as hard as when the a/c is working.