WON'T START

1997 Dodge Ram

charliealla

August, 22, 2009 AT 10:25 PM

1997 Dodge Ram V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 220000 miles

You don't have (starting problem) as a choice.

This has been an excellent running truck over many years and miles. I drove up to escondido to day, later drove back home to San Diego. One hour later went to junp into my truck and it won't start. Engine cranks over with plenty of cranking power. It acts like it either is not getting any spark to ignite and turnover, or it's not getting fuel to the injectors is my best guess.
Any ideas?

Thank you

Charlie O

August, 22, 2009 AT 10:28 PM

Do below to determine which one

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

charliealla

August, 23, 2009 AT 7:11 PM

Thank you for responding to my question. I can do the spark test but I don't think I can do the fuel test.

Thanks for the very helpful tip.

Charlie O

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement