Engine will turn over but no spark

ACBJR22
  • 1997 DODGE RAM

Electrical problem V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 300000 miles

I have a new ECM and have run a wire to test the fuel pump cutting on and that works when I ran the jumper. I turn on the switch and all the normal. Lights come on but not the engine light. I try to start the truck and I get on spark and no fuel pump running does anyone know what the problem is.

I have checked and swapped the relay out with 2 others that work and still nothing it is like the computer is not responding but I know it works because I have a 96 dodge ram and it starts it right up. The truck ran fine and I was about to have it taken down to the trans shop for some work on the trans I went out to test the trans out it wouldn't start. The old computer that was in it stopped working and I pulled the one out of the 96 and put it in there and left it at the trans shop and they tried to work on it and got it back in the same shape as I dropped it off just with the 96s computer not working either. So I will only hook up the new computer for a test on the start when I get a idea of what it might be. I am getting 12V to the red and white wire on the computer and a ground on the black and white wire so I am lost.

I have checked all the fuses and they are all good. Nothing no spark and no fuel and no check engine light when I turn the key on.

I have always fixed my own cars and trucks so I know how to check all the simple stuff and I have done all of it even as far as changing out the O2 sensors and the map, crank, and cam sensors. Has new wiring harness but still nothing

Saturday, February 21st, 2009 AT 3:59 PM

2CARPROS KEN

Is looks like you are having a problem with the wiring for the ASD relay. Here is wiring diagram (below) and a guide to help you do some testing.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Cheers, Ken

Saturday, June 24th, 2017 AT 1:00 PM
EEKD
  • 1997 DODGE RAM

Engine problem
1997 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

I started the truck and it ran fine as usually but after driving I parked it in the driveway, 5 minutes later upon trying to start it again I would not, it turns over and everything and upon further looking I realized I was not getting a spark, tried a new coil, distributor but im out of ideas. Im pretty sure it is a fuse or something due to how it just so spontaneously whent from fine to broken.
Advice is thremendously welcome. Sincerely, Derek

Saturday, June 24th, 2017 AT 1:01 PM (Merged)
MERLIN2021

Is the check engine light on? Try unplugging the cam sensor and see if it starts, if it does, it's a timming issue, could be the crank sensor connector came loose.

EEKD

Thanks, this does seem possible, because I can recall prior to this a few weeks before it failed it had stalled a few times at random on me when I would give it gas and then slow down and put it in reverse or watever, but I thought this was because I was getting unequal back pressure from the catty that went out on it and had replaced, but this would explain it, do u happen to know were it is located abouts on my truck though :-)

MERLIN2021

Camshaft sensor is in the distributor, carnk sensor is on the rear of the engine block.

+1
MERLIN2021

Here are the no spark tests,

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_1_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_2_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_3_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_5_1.jpg

-1
ASTAFFNE
  • 1997 DODGE RAM

1997 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 99000 miles

I was driving down the road and all the sudden the truck just shutdown tried to let it cool down to see if it would start back up but it wouldn't. I got toed home and spraied starting fluid in the trottle body and was acting like it was going to start so I went out and got a new fuel pump. After installing it the truck didn't want to start at all we found that there was no spark checked all fueses, relays, sensors and changed distributor cap and rotor, and pick up coil. I have also changed the coil still nothing. So then I went out and got a new computer for it and it still wont turn over I ended up even pulling out the remote starter. So what can I do now?

RACEFAN966

Do you have a digital multi meter? I would like to check the cam position sensor. Is the check engine light on? Can you scan it if so? Get back to me and we will go from there.

ASTAFFNE

I just put in a new camshaft position sensor. There are no code but I tried scaning it anyways and it found nothing

RACEFAN966

Ok then I would like to check the crank sensor too. Do you have a digital multi meter? I would like to make sure there is power to the coil and the cam sensor. Get back to me so we can try to figure out what happened. Ok so the scanner did link up with the trucks computer right?

ASTAFFNE

I have a muti meter and I have replaced the crank sensor as well. And there is power to the coil and I have replaced the coil too. And the scanner didn't link up to the truck

RACEFAN966

Do you know if there is power to the cam and or crank sensor? You didn't mention replacing them in your first post. Is there anything else you replaced that may have been forgotten? We will also need to check the computer too.

ASTAFFNE

When testing the sensors I have to have the key in the on postion right and I did get a new computer, and ADS relay

ASTAFFNE

And I forgot to say that I had to put 3 new grounds in that ran from the engine to the firewall because there wasn't any there. That was one of the first things I did

HILBILY89
  • 1997 DODGE RAM

I drove it home this past Thursday and parked it. Went to start it on Saturday and it wouldn't start. I'eve replaced the fuel pump, coil, cam sensor, crank sensor, rotor cap and button and the computer. I have zero spark to the coil. I'eve checked all fuses, grounds and solenoids and everything is showing to be good. I'm getting gas to the throttle body the motor turns over fine but no spark. No backfires spits or sputters. Pulled a spark plug wire and with a screwdriver held it near ground to check for fire and no results. I don't know what else to check.

RACEFAN966

Yes the key needs to be on to check for voltage. Here is what I need to know. Is there power to the black wire with the gray stripe at the coil? Is there power coming from the dk green wire orange stripe coming from the coil? Does the gray wire with the black stripe have power at the cranksensor? Now I need to know if there is power to the black wire with the dk green stripe at the shut down relay? Get back to me with what you find. If any of these don't have power then we need to check the powertrain control module (computer). It may not be sending the signal.

Okay, this is a tough one since you replaced so much already. However, have you checked to make sure none of the main fuses under the hood are bad? Also, have you checked the ASD in the power distribution box under the hood?

CQUAIN
  • 1997 DODGE RAM

1997 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 134000 miles

Truck started fine as usual in the am. After a few minutes of warming up the check engine light came on, didn't really think anything of it at the time(pulled the code after it was towed back home, it was a camshaft sensor bank a circuit malfunction code, the only one in the memory). After driving for 15 minutes to the store I parked it, I turned it off, and then was going to restart right away to pull it into the spot better, but it turned over but won't start. I Left it sit for an hour thinking maybe it was flooded, or something. But no difference. Checked for spark at this point and there wasn't any. Replaced the coil but still no starting. Tried several hours later still nothing.

Saturday, June 24th, 2017 AT 1:02 PM (Merged)

No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

DAVID BURROW
  • 1997 DODGE RAM

Two weeks ago I driving the truck and hit a bump and it went into a death wobble. I kept the truck under control but lost all power. Got pulled over and tried to start it and nothing. Keep in mind a week prior I replaced the fuel pump. (A year ago) So the first thing I checked was all fuses and my ground on the battery. Everything is good. Then checked wires to the starter. Everything good. Still no start. Got a friend to pull it four miles back to my house. I changed the ignition coil, nothing. Then I took my test light to all the fuses. When I got to the one in dash panel that is the engine fuse. It is good but no power to it. I can take a jumper wire from that fuse to the battery then it light up. Still no start. Replaced distributor and rotor, nothing. My only other option is the crankshaft sensor. Any ideas on what else it could be?