Overheating

PKENNEDY
  • 2002 DODGE NEON
My car overheated yesterday. Steam coming out from under the hood, smelled of burnt coolant. I had to refill with water. I can only go a couple miles and the temperature gauge goes to red and steam is coming out from under the hood. However, it does not leak anywhere, nothing has ever been on the driveway. I did not have the air on and did not notice if the fan kicked on when it got hot.
Friday, September 24th, 2010 AT 1:12 PM

Did it overheat at highway speeds or stop and go traffic? Have you ever replaced the thermostat or flushed the cooling system? Also, keep in mind, water will boil at 212 degrees F. The engine's normal operating temperature is around 200.

Here is a guide that can help:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-overheating-or-running-hot

Let me know.

+1
Tuesday, September 28th, 2010 AT 6:36 AM
PKENNEDY
Stop and gp traffic. No I have never replaced the thermostat or flushed the coolant.
+2
Tuesday, September 28th, 2010 AT 6:39 AM
If it only happens in stop and go traffic, check to make sure the cooling fans are coming on and let me know what you find.

+1
Tuesday, September 28th, 2010 AT 10:30 AM
PKENNEDY
A new thermostat and flushing the coolant fixed the problem! No busted head gasket!
+1
Tuesday, October 5th, 2010 AT 9:13 AM
That is good. Let us know if you have questions in the future.

Tuesday, October 5th, 2010 AT 10:05 AM
BBURNETT23
  • 2002 DODGE NEON
My car keeps overheating. I have changed the thermostat but did not help. My check engine light is on and my heater is blowing cold air. There is also a weird smell coming from the car

I need help with an overheating, check engine light, and heater blowing cold air.
Friday, August 3rd, 2018 AT 7:19 PM (Merged)
Check the coolant level. If the check engine light is on, scan the computer for trouble codes. As far as the overheating, check to make sure the radiator does not need flushed.
BBURNETT23
Okay, how do I scan for trouble codes? And why does my heater blow out cold air instead of hot?
You need a scanner to check for codes. Most parts stores will do it for free. As far as the heat, see if both heater core hoses are hot. If they are, check the blend air door. If only one is hot, try flushing the heater core.

If you decide you would like to conduct the scan yourself here is a link to an article from this site that features written step by step instructions and pictures explaining how to do the scan yourself. Also, I have included a link to our YouTube channel with a how to video on code scanning.

This is applicable even if your check engine light is not on.

Most scanners are inexpensive to purchase, you can purchase one online from sites like Amazon.com

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

https://youtu.be/YV3TRZwer8k

Once you have the codes please get back to us with the code number(s) so that we can further assist you. We are always happy to help.
SUBSNAMPS
  • 2002 DODGE NEON
Four cylinder automatic 77,000 miles. Let me start from the beginning, as I am pretty sure it is all connected. Shortly after purchasing the car I found that the car would overheat when the air conditioner was on, only if I was stopped or lowered my speed. So I changed the thermostat and the fan sensor. That did not solve the problem, but I learned to shut the A/C off when stopping or slowing down, which worked good for the first part of summer. Now the A/C has completely stopped working, and when I tried to put the leak detector in the system, it actually blows out of the radiator. I know the lines run through the radiator, and the radiator is not losing any fluid itself. Is there any way to fix this? I really am in no position to replace the radiator itself. Thank you in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.
CHEFTRAC
My car would always overheat too. Three radiators and four temperature sensors later and at least three sets of hoses, I finally replaced the water pump. Voila! Runs like a champ. Good Luck.
REBECCA HALL
  • 2002 DODGE NEON
I can only drive two miles before the dinging alarm goes off indicating it is overheating. Fans come on if AC or heat are turned on max, but will not keep it cool.
STEVE W.
Sounds like either a bad thermostat (stuck closed), a plugged radiator (use a non-contact thermometer to check for abrupt temperature variation), a bad water pump that is not circulating the coolant or a bad head gasket. A pressure test and combustion gas test would show you if it is a head gasket.

You mention that the fans only turn on when the HVAC is on max. They should turn on once the engine gets "hot" and the coolant temperature tells the PCM to turn them on. If they are not coming on there is a problem in that system.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/radiator-pressure-test
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2002 DODGE NEON
I need help with this car every time I drive the engine light comes on and it goes off. If you do not have the right radiator will that make the car get hot for the engine to be hot all the time. Also, the car gets heat but the switch on high gets lower heat and if I put it on high fifteen minutes later the engine light comes on and there goes the beep one more thing. Sometimes these things are happening say I stop to go inside the store come back out to start the car it will not start and the battery is new could you help me with this problem? Thank you very much.
WRENCHTECH
Are you talking about the temperature light or the check engine light?
DANITA1
  • 2002 DODGE NEON
My car is overheating, but I am not losing any water and water has orange stuff mixed with it.
Try replacing the thermostat and flushing the cooling system.
Friday, August 3rd, 2018 AT 7:20 PM (Merged)
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2002 DODGE NEON
Okay, so my car was over heating so I changed my thermostat because my radiator is like only one year old. Now the car does not over heat so far but now I drive like about a mile come home and I do not have water, but does not overheat. So I flushed my radiator and my block. What could be the problem?
Please put some punctuation in that huge sentence, otherwise it can be read at least three different way. The logic is confusing too. It is not overheating but there is no coolant in the engine? It was not just that the reservoir was low or empty, was it? Flushing the engine isn't going to accomplish anything. Although thermostats do not fail very often, once you replaced it, you have to bleed the air out from under it when you refill the coolant. If you did not do that you can get lucky sometimes and it will bleed by itself. A lot of thermostats have small bleed holes in them for that purpose. If that air pocket burped out on its own, coolant level in the reservoir, and possibly the radiator would go down and all that would be needed is to refill them.

Once the system is bled and full, if the overheating occurs again, it is likely due to a leaking head gasket. Combustion gases pool under the thermostat causing it to not open. Thermostats open in response to hot liquid, not hot air. There is a chemical test you can do to check for a leaking head gasket. Air is drawn from the radiator through a glass cylinder with two chambers partially-filled with a special dark blue liquid. If combustion gases are present, that liquid will turn bright yellow.