OVERHEATING PROBLEMS

1995 Dodge Neon

Go_Getta88

April, 2, 2009 AT 3:17 AM

Engine Cooling problem
1995 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

My 1995 Dodge Neon has recently been having overheating problems. I sealed the leaks in the radiator, replaced the thermostat (I think the old one was still operable), replaced the housing, added oil, repaired the radiator fan, and the coolant reservoir is full, but within minutes my car has overheated everytime I've went for a test drive. As far as I know the water pump isn't leaking either. I'm also hoping not to have to spend much more money as I am on a budget. What should I do next?

bluelightnin6

April, 2, 2009 AT 3:30 AM

Need to have head gasket inspected for cracks. Neons are very common to have head gasket failure.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!

Go_Getta88

April, 2, 2009 AT 11:05 AM

Alright I will definitely try that

Go_Getta88

April, 3, 2009 AT 6:44 PM

Ok so everything was good with the head gasket. Now I noticed that there's a leak near the top of the radiator where it bolts to the chassis. Any suggestions as to how to slow down or stop that leak?

bluelightnin6

April, 3, 2009 AT 6:55 PM

There are producst such as JB Weld that do a wonderful job of patching up small leaks such as this. You may want to try that out. Of course the best permanent fix would be a new radiator.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!

Go_Getta88

April, 3, 2009 AT 7:19 PM

Sounds like a good idea. I want to replace my radiator within a month so I just need it to work until then. So is there a specific type of JB Weld I should use since there are several different types?

bluelightnin6

April, 3, 2009 AT 7:23 PM

Just use the original JB WELD epoxy. If you use the JB KWIK it may not withstand the temperatures under the hood.

Go_Getta88

April, 24, 2009 AT 2:53 PM

Thanks. Well that didn't work too well so I just bought a new radiator. I'm hoping that will take care of the issue. Is there anything else I can do that will also reduce engine heat?

bluelightnin6

April, 24, 2009 AT 2:57 PM

Well since you just have a radiator installed your cooling system should have been flushed out very well so just keep the appropriate level of coolant in the system and keep an eye on the temp. Gauge. If you suspect overheating you may want to inspect components before the overheating damages anything.

Go_Getta88

April, 25, 2009 AT 3:11 AM

Thanks, it works pretty well now and I will definitely keep track of the coolant level

Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500