1999 DODGE NEON NEON WON'T START

• kimcclen
  • 1999 Dodge Neon

1999 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 177000 miles

I'VE REPLACED BATTERY, STARTER, IGNITION COIL, WIRES, SPARK PLUGS, TESTED THE FUEL PUMP. IT'S GETTING GAS IN THE FUEL LINE. PRESSURE IS AT 40. CHECKED THE FUSES AND RELAYS. CAMSHAFT SENSOR IS NEW. MANY ITEMS. AND IT STILL WON'T START. TURN THE CAR OVER FOR 3-5 SECONDS BUT STILL NOTHING. CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT ELSE CAN BE WRONG WITH THIS CAR?

Friday, September 17th, 2010 AT 9:20 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Are you getting spark to the plugs? Have you checked to make sure the injectors are getting power?

Friday, September 17th, 2010 AT 11:15 PM
  • kimcclen

I have only spark from two plugs, sometimes I get a backfire. I haven't had the injectors tested. But it's getting fuel up to the line. Any suggestions?

Saturday, September 18th, 2010 AT 3:19 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

If you are only getting spark from two plugs, that is why it won't start. Have you checked the crank sensor?

Sunday, September 19th, 2010 AT 12:09 AM
  • kimcclen

I will next. Someone mentioned the timing could be off and needing to have the timing belt changed and reset. I will try the crank sensor. Is the crankshaft sensor hard to do?

Sunday, September 19th, 2010 AT 10:53 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

If the timing was out, it wouldn't prevent spark to all plugs. As far as the sensor, have it checked and no, it isn't hard to replace.

Tuesday, September 21st, 2010 AT 1:27 AM
  • kimcclen

1st what do you mean, it would not prevent sparks to all plugs? 2nd I took it to a shop and the mech said timing is not off. Then I had a diagnosis and the tech said his meter read 0 ignition and 0 timing. I only drove my car over train tracks and it shut off. Ive gotten alot done and spending money in different directions and somewhere, someone isnt evaluating my car properly. If it's the timing, whats a good estimate. If its the crank sensor, whats a good estimate. Please help.

Sunday, October 3rd, 2010 AT 7:21 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

If the engine is out of time, it will still get sparkto all plugs, but the spark will happen at the wrong time. As far as the timing, I don't see any way a bump would cause it. It is electrical in my opinion. A crank sensor would be about 150.00 installed, but make them check it before just replacing it.

Sunday, October 3rd, 2010 AT 9:58 PM
  • kimcclen

Ok, I got the price of a crank sensor. So are you saying that the part is electrical as well? And I have spark to all plugs, but cant tell if theyre at the same time since I have to check each spark individually. Got shocked. Thanks for your assistance.

Monday, October 4th, 2010 AT 12:25 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

One of the earlier post mentioned that you only have spark on 2 of the cylenders. Skip the crank sensor. As far as getting shocked, OUCH!

Okay, we need to start over. First, you shouldn't get spark to all of the plugs at the same time, so don't worry about that. Is the spark a hot blue snapping spark? Will the engine start for a few seconds with starting fluid?

Monday, October 4th, 2010 AT 7:04 AM