2002 DODGE INTREPID 02 DODGE INTREPID WONT START IN COLD WE

• RyanRusty29
  • 2002 Dodge Intrepid

2002 Dodge Intrepid 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

Calling all experts! Okay let me give you the info you need and shoot me any ideas you have. The car is a 2002 Dodge intrepid ES 3.5L (not High Output ver) the car was left unstarted for 5 days in below zero temperature in Montana. There was 3 gallons of gas in tank. The car started for 2 mins then shut off and will not restart. I have done the following so far. Gave it 2 cans of ISO-Heet, gae it another 6 gallons of gas, put car in garage for hours with propane heater, fully charged battery, and finally last night I checked spark plug for gas on tip and found no gas on the tip of spark plug and we smelt a small scent of gas (possibly from previous starts before cold weather, im not convinced it smelt like gas from us trying to start it) and finally we could not get a spark to arch when I removed coil pack and held spark plug near metal. Sorry for long post please help.

Monday, December 22nd, 2008 AT 1:47 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Hi:
Are you getting power to the coil pack? Also, did you lay the plug against the engine for a ground or hold it away from it to see if it would arc?
Finally, do I understand that the plugs had gas on them?

Wednesday, December 24th, 2008 AT 9:32 PM
  • RyanRusty29

Dont know if we r getting volts to colilpack. We held it away from metal on the engine. An finaly there was no gas on the tip of the plug.

Thursday, December 25th, 2008 AT 2:48 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

If you disconnect the coil pack, you should get a voltage pulsation to the wiring when cranking. If you get power to the coil pack but you are and not getting spark to the plug, it sounds like a bad coil pack. (The car has a coil pack for each cylender, correct?)

Have you checked for fuel pressure?

Let me know about the coils and fuel pressure. And, if you use starting fluid, will the engine start for a few seconds?

Thursday, December 25th, 2008 AT 11:50 PM
  • RyanRusty29

The car went into the dealership shop today (friends dad works there so thankfully a discount applied) anyways lone and behold Coil Pack number 6 was shorted out and when it was removed the PCM worked properly and the car started up. So kudos to you JOE. You pretty much nailed it on the head and thank you for helping I really appreciate it, hope you and yours have a really great holiday.

Friday, December 26th, 2008 AT 5:17 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Hi:
That's great news. Let us know if you have questions in the future.

Happy Holidays to you and yours too.

Friday, December 26th, 2008 AT 6:34 PM