A combination filter and pressure regulator is used on all models. The regulator is a mechanical device not controlled by the PCM or engine vacuum.
It is calibrated to maintain a pressure a pressure of about 49 psi (339 kPa) at the fuel injectors. The unit contains a diaphragm, calibrated springs and a return valve.
The regulator's pressure maintenance feature permits easier starting. If pressure exceeds the specified amount, the unit routs the excess fuel back to the tank.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the fuel tank filler cap.
3. Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
4. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
5. Remove the fuel tank assembly.
6. The fuel pressure filter/regulator assembly is located on the top of the fuel pump assembly. It is not necessary to remove the fuel pump to remove the pressure filter/regulator assembly. Matchmark the direction the hose fitting points. Unit must be reinstalled pointing in the same direction.
7. Twist the filter/regulator assembly out of its grommet on the fuel pump.
8. Remove the snap ring that retains the convoluted tube to the filter/regulator. Slide the tube down the plastic fuel tube to access the fuel tube clamp.
9. Gently cut the old fuel tube clamp off, taking care NOT to damage the fuel tube or drop the clamp inside the tank.
10. Remove the fuel tube from the filter/regulator assembly by gently pulling downward.
11. Remove the filter/regulator assembly from the fuel pump module.
To install: 12. Install a new clamp over the plastic fuel tube.
13. Install the filter/regulator assembly to the fuel tube. Rotate the filter/regulator until it is pointed to line up with the matchmark previously made.
14. Tighten the clamp to fuel line using Hose Clamp Pliers C-4124 or equivalent.
15. Slide the convoluted plastic tube up to the bottom of the filter/regulator and install the snap ring.
16. Press the filter/regulator assembly into the rubber grommet making sure it is pointed in the 10 o'clock position.
17. Install the fuel tank.
18. Lower the vehicle.
19. Connect the negative battery cable.
20. Install the fuel filler cap.