FAN CLUTCH BAD?

1999 Dodge Durango

JamiKay

Engine Cooling problem
1999 Dodge Durango V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 200000 miles

Now might be a blonde question but here I go. My truck's making a loud roaring sound which makes it sound like a semi truck which is the fan clutch yet it makes the sound CONSTANTLY. Every person and my own personal impression was that it only made the sound for maybe 5 minutes then stopped usually on warm days. Well its about 30 degrees outside and my truck is still ROARING down the road, it's so loud that if I go through a drive thru they have a hard time hearing me. So my question is. Is the fan clutch bad or could it be something else? Also, on a scale of 1-10 one being easy and ten being hard. How much strength is needed to remove this because I am a smaller girl.

Jacobandnickolas

Hi: The fan clutch should engage after the temp under the hood reaches a high temp. You shouldn't hear it all of the time, especially in cold temps and driving. Before anything, is the engine temp running normal (not overheating)? If so, chances are the clutch is bad. You could remove the serp belt and start it to see if the sound is gone. However, do not run the engine more than a few seconds because it will over heat quickly.

Let me know what you find. Oh, and yes it will require about a 6+ in strength to remove it.

Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chrysler PT
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chevrolet