1999 Dodge Dakota Gauges

MICHAEL320
  • 1999 DODGE DAKOTA
1999 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 99 Dakota 2x4 that was running fine, until it was hit in the drivers fender. All the wiring looks good, and nothing other than the fender and bumper look to be dammaged.
The problem is when the ignition key is inserted the light indicators illuminate on the dash, which is normal, but after the vehicle starts they stay on. The analog gauges dont appear to work ( batt, fuel, temp. Etc) they are all off to the left. Any clue as to where to start troubleshooting? Would this show up w/ a code scanner? Thanx in advance. Mike
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 7:20 AM

Chances are a scanner will not show these problems. I need you to start by checking for body grounds that have been damaged, loose, or broken.

Let me know what you find.
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 7:26 AM
MICHAEL320
K. I do remember a ground not connected now that you mention it. Maybe thats it. I'll keep you posted. Any way to find a under hood photo of this truck? There are some things not connected. Ie this small canister that looks to have connections on it for hoses. Kinda looks like the old oil bath air cleaners, in shape, but smaller and of course plastic.
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 9:19 AM
That sounds like the EVAP canister. Is it in the inner fender area on the passanger side?
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 9:35 AM
MICHAEL320
Well. Maybe. The damage was to the driver side so I'm more inclined to think it came from that side. I'd like to have under hood pic of this truck, so I can put things back where they belong. Thanx again. And I'll be back.
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 12:04 PM
If you give me specifics, I can try to find diagrams. If you want an under the hood picture, it will be too basic and not helpful.
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 12:55 PM
MAZANZA
Wow I have the same exact problem. I replaced my engine in my dodge and about a month or two later My gauges went out. I bought a new speed sensor and installed it but it was no good. I then went to my friends shop he had a scanner and he could not find anything wrong. Its been two yrs I still havent found the problem but when I was my engine my gauges work for a little bit. Im sure it is a wire or something. Jacobandnicolas would you know where exactly the ground wire/s would be at?
Wednesday, June 22nd, 2011 AT 2:39 AM