1999 Dodge Dakota fule pump

MATTHEW.BOWLING
  • 1999 DODGE DAKOTA
My fuel pump doesn't shut off. It keep that same hum when you first turn the key to the on position. Also it wont idle until it gets worm. I have talked to a few people about it and they seem to thank it has something to do with the (ASD) relay. I just replaced my fuel pump and it was running fine no problems until now and I don't know what to do for it. If you can help I would be most grateful.
Monday, November 3rd, 2008 AT 4:05 PM

Hi:
Are you saying the new fuel pum is not working?
Monday, November 3rd, 2008 AT 8:29 PM
MATTHEW.BOWLING
No it is working it just doesn't shut off after the vehicle is started. You know how when you turn your key to the on position you can hear the fuel pump kick on for about 2 seconds then it will shut off. Well mine doesn't it stays on even when it is started. You can hear that little high pitch hum wile the truck is running. The A.S.D. Relay is the auto shutdown relay for the fuel pump witch is what I believe it may be but I don't have any idea on how to fix the problem, people have told me that there is a way to reset them but no info on how you reset it.
Tuesday, November 4th, 2008 AT 5:27 PM
Hi Again:
Yes it could be a bad ASD. I checked all of my resources and can't find anything regarding a reset. However, when you find it, look it over.

The ASD is located inder the hood in the power distribution box (PDC). Refer to the PDC cover for relay location. Also, if you can find an exact match relay in another location, switch them to see if it takes care of the problem.

If this doesn't work, I want you to check one more thing. A common problem with these trucks is how Chrysler splices together in the wiring harness. Under the underhood fusebox, unwrap the tape on the harness about 6 to 10 inches until you find a splice of 3 wires--redo it if green or doesn't look good.

Let me know if this helps, or if you have any other questions.
Tuesday, November 4th, 2008 AT 9:12 PM