1991 Dodge Dakota 1991 Dodge Dakota won't start

RWOU812
  • 1991 DODGE DAKOTA
Engine will not turn over. On the key, hear it energizing, turn the key and hear the starter - but will not turn. It's not clicking, just hear a "grunt" and then nothing. Battery is good, removed starter and had bench tested and it is OK.
Wednesday, March 11th, 2009 AT 10:20 PM

Turn the key and hear the starter - but will not turn.

Do you hear the starter engaging the engine but engine is not turning over if so the starter overrunning clutch is slipping. If this is not the case-double check all connections battery and starter side. Might want to load test the battery
Wednesday, March 11th, 2009 AT 11:01 PM
RWOU812
Thank rasmataz,

I checked it again this am and still nothing - son told me after I posted that he hit a puddle and thought it may need to dry out, but same thing. I basically get a click (just one click) at the starter and nothing more. Possible problem in the linkage or Neutral switch?

Positive batter terminal looks a bit rough and I'll change that out today to eliminate that problem as I have one in the tool box.
Thursday, March 12th, 2009 AT 7:32 AM
Check fuse B 30amp in the power distribution box, starter relay, park and neutral switch and recheck the starter if that's the case.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_dodge_start_circuit_1.jpg

Thursday, March 12th, 2009 AT 12:38 PM
RWOU812
Turned out to be corroded wires (Black) just outside of the power distribution box. Re-stripped and tied them back together and it fired right up.

Thanks for all the help!
Monday, March 16th, 2009 AT 8:30 AM