Caravan Hard to Start.

PJZONA
  • DODGE CARAVAN
I have a 2002 Dodge Caravan Sport 3.3L engine with 120,000 miles. After the car sits for twenty minutes or longer it will not start. The only way I can get it to start is by turning the key off and on several times and then it will attempt to start. If I keep turning the key off and on it will finally start. Once running, no problems at all. The battery is hot and the starter is good. I have spark at the plugs and no leaks. I can hear the fuel pump come on when the key is turned on. I think it is fuel related but not sure if it is the fuel pump or the pressure regulator. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Saturday, November 17th, 2007 AT 2:00 PM

MERLIN2021
Have a pressure test done on it, also pull the vacuum line off the regulator, if there is any fuel in it, change it. If you can find the return line try clamping it off and see if this increases the pressure enough to star the van, if yes, the pump is weak. How about the fuel filter, changed yet? And how about that last tune up? Bad plugs are a prime cause of hard starting. Sorry your model has it built on to the fuel pum, you need the dogge scan tool and a pressure tester to test this one.
Saturday, November 17th, 2007 AT 2:53 PM
PJZONA
Are you referring to the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator located on the fuel pump assembly? Thats is the only regulator I know of. If there is another one, where is it. Thanks for your advice, at least I have a starting point!
Saturday, November 17th, 2007 AT 5:04 PM
MERLIN2021
Yes try pulling that off to check for gas, ther should not be any.
Saturday, November 17th, 2007 AT 5:08 PM
PJZONA
Sorry not quite sure what you mean follow up post I am new to this. I checked the fuel line before attempting to start the car and found no fuel pressure. After starting the car and running for a couple of minutes turned it off and again no fuel pressure in the line. The line should hold pressure right?
Saturday, November 17th, 2007 AT 5:45 PM
MERLIN2021
Yes, either the regulator or the pump is bad, if the regulator can be bought seperatly go with that first.
Sunday, November 18th, 2007 AT 8:02 AM