Security reset

HARC
  • 2005 DODGE CARAVAN

Have an 05 Dodge Caravan that only had 1 key with transmitter when purchased. Dealer wants over $300 for 2nd key with transmitter since only keys with transmitters will start the car. Can't afford that. Dealer told me that there is a way to bypass the anti-theft so that a key without the transmitter fob thingy would work. But he can't tell me how to do it and that I need to look on the internet. I can't find it. It's probably out there but I am using the wrong search terms. Can anyone tell me how to do it?

I only have 1 of these Sentry keys, so I have to pay for a new one and the programming, which is either over $300 at the dealer or? With a locksmith (no locksmith has gotten back to me yet).

The parts guy at the dealership told me that there is a way to disable the Sentry thing so that a regular key will work (has to be cut but it won't cost $300 for Wal-Mart or Home Depot to cut a key). He told me to check the internet for the directions to disable the Sentry thing so that any key would work and then added that if I did this and my car got stolen then my insurance wouldn't cover it--not worried about someone stealing this piece of junk. But I really need 2 keys.

Is there no way to disable the Sentry thing?

Tuesday, October 28th, 2008 AT 3:04 PM

BMRFIXIT

Here is how to reset the security system.

Unlock the car and disconnect the battery and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then reconnect the battery and lock and unlock the drivers door using the key.

The system should be reset.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-reset-a-security-system

If the key needs to be programmed the instructions are below.

The steps required to reprogram Sentry Keys with two valid Sentry Keys follows:

1.Obtain the blank Sentry Key(s) that need to be programmed. Cut the keys to match the ignition lock cylinder mechanical key codes.

2.Insert one of the two valid Sentry Keys into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

3.After the ignition switch has been in the ON position for longer than three seconds, but no more than fifteen seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to the OFF position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in the ignition lock cylinder with the second valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position. The second valid Sentry Key must be inserted within 15 seconds of removing the first valid Sentry key.

4.About ten seconds after the completion of step 3, the indicator light will start to flash and a single audible chime tone will sound to indicate that the system has entered the "Customer Learn" programming mode.

5.Within sixty seconds of entering the "Customer Learn" programming mode, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, replace the valid Sentry Key with a blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position.

6.About ten seconds after the completion of step 5, a single audible chime tone will sound and the indicator light will stop flashing and stay on solid for three seconds and then turn off to indicate that the blank Sentry Key has been successfully programmed. The SKREES will immediately exit the "Customer Learn" programming mode and the vehicle may be started using the newly programmed Sentry Key.

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers

Tuesday, October 28th, 2008 AT 7:16 PM
19CHRISTINE82

I have a 2008 Dodge caravan when I came out of work today I hit the unlock button for my doors and my horn started blowing my windshield wipers were going I couldn't turn off alarm it wasn't working and I finally disconnected the battery now I can't lock unlock my doors my Windows won't work and van wont turn on I tried to reset anti theft alarm it didn't work I tried everything how else can I reset the system

Sunday, May 15th, 2016 AT 4:58 PM
2CARPROS KEN

These vans had a problem with the BCM which ties in the alarm and windshield wipers which explains the problem. You might be able to have the dealer update it but if not you will need a new one.

Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Thursday, March 16th, 2017 AT 5:56 PM
JOE SULPHUR
  • 2005 DODGE CARAVAN

Comes on at inconvenient times.

Thursday, September 21st, 2017 AT 3:15 PM (Merged)
2CARPROS KEN

Yep these cars have a problem with the BCM module. You cant disarm it becasue it runs throughout the computer system.

Here is the wiring diagrams so you can see how the system is tied in.

Also is the alarm factory or aftermarket?

If the battery is weak it can make the alarms go off.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-battery-load-test

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

BKEENAN
  • 1998 DODGE CARAVAN

1998 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 178000 miles

Several times over the last few months, our vehicle will not start. If it does turn over it runs for a second and then stops. We have had our local shop run diagnostics on it - they say it checks out fine but perhaps there is a problem with the Alarm system - the alram system apparently can shut off the engine.

We have also had the fuel pump and alternator replaced during the last 6 months.

After the car sits for 30 - 60 minutes, then it starts.

Should we condier replacing the alarm system? I would prefer to disable it if possible - any suggestions are appreciated - thanks!

RACEFAN966

Ok I will send a pic of the body control module that controls all the lighting and windows and alarm system. So no you can not disconnect it. Here is the test procedure to see if it is activating. See the alarm stops the injector pulse so if you can't do this then have a shop check to see if the injector is getting the pulse it should get with a noid light. If it is not then you should test the body control module and if it is bad then replace it.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_body_control_module_1.jpg

Hope this helps if I do any more just ask ok.

CRAIGTHARP2014
  • 1999 DODGE CARAVAN

I lost my remote to lock, unlock, and turn off alarm I reached into car and opened the door to get something that I had for got and set the alarm off I tried unlock in door with my key and starting but neither will work it will let me start it but when I put it in gear it dies so I stated looking threw the relays under the hood to try n find a fuse to disable the alarm and don't know maybe I mixed them up or something but now when I turn the key nothing happens so I need to know if there is a way to bypass that alarm and if I can get a diagram with the numbers on the relays to make sure that they are in the correct spot

Thursday, September 21st, 2017 AT 3:17 PM (Merged)
FREEMBA

Close the door and lock it with your key. (This should turn the alarm off).

Please tell me which relays you removed.