Engine wont turnover

JERRY 9947
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN

Electrical problem 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 98000 miles

battery good ignition good starter good all fuses and relays good if I jump the starter relay contacts the engine cranks but still won't start further checking I don't have a ground path to starter relay fuel pump relay and coil packs I think it may be computer the Haynes book says the pcm module could cause this problem and states the module is located behind the driver side bumper the module there is for transmission so where do I go from here I know electronics ( radio&tv repair for 30 tears ) and 35 years at Lockheed martin space shuttle electronics but I don't have much dodge back ground I drive a chevy truck because it"s dependable. Wife likes her caravan good when running not to good NOW thanks Jerry

Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 AT 5:29 PM

Do you mean the only time the starter will crank engine over is when you jump the starter relay however the engine refuses to start-

Both the starter relay and fuel pump relay ground circuit is controlled by the computer

-1
Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 AT 4:03 AM
JERRY 9947

That's just I stated in the first post that it doesn't have grounds to the relay coils to latch relay contacts that was my quess that the computer died thanks I didn't have a schematic of the computer but using logic that's what I came up with! The other part of the question was which one was it? Another site tells me in 2003 caravan their are 2 computers 1 behind the driver headlight and 2 one behind the driver side bumper my quess it's the one behind the head light ! Thanks jerry

Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 AT 5:47 AM

Unable to locate the PCM below is for the transmission contol module if there's no other module on the same side I'll assumed that the main computer for both the transmissio/engine management are integrated

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_tcm_2.jpg

+4
Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 AT 2:07 PM
JERRY 9947

My caravan has two modules I took both out 1) one was behind the bumper on the driver side 2) the other was in front of the battery on the driver side your diagram is for an insine 6 cyl eng. This one is a transavle side ways engine I have the part numbers for both modules the one in front of battery is #472521aab the one behind the bumper is 4727721ae I know of no caravan with a stright inline engine this is a mini van in case you didn't know! I took both modules to autozone who advertises they check modules but they don't do it!

+2
Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 AT 3:14 PM

Its not an inline engine its a 3.3L/3.8 Transverse engine.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_transverse_engine_1.jpg

+1
Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 AT 4:13 PM
JERRY 9947

Sorry yor're right v6 not stright 6 to many cars here to keepup with BUT ONLY 1 DODGE Igot the right module location it was the one in front of the battery not the one behind the bumper that's the transmission module haynes manuel was incorrect as to where the pcm module is but dodge dealer said their were two different late and early starting 2003 the early model used one moduel and later went to two modules thanks for all your help ! This was a learning experiance for everyone involved I will order moduel from internet tonight $199'00 with lifetime warranty in stock and includes shippind dealer don't have it 10 -15 working days to get it no brainer the net has it and I will have it in 3 days not weeks I will post to let you know if that cures the problem I think together we agree it has to be the module jerry

updated 3/5/09

it was the pcm module I replaced it with the $199.00 from the web came pre
programed ready to plug in that's what I did cured all problems plug &
play the code reader didn't show a code or fault that what I couldn't
understand but all the electrical checks pointed to the pcm module so I went
with logic REPLACE THE PCM MODULE it will fix it !Remove the two bolts
from top bracket and the three bolts that hold the headlight assem. In
remove headlight assem. For access to the one bottom bolt for the module
unplug the two cables replace module and reinstall every thing in reverse
IT"S A DONE DEAL 15 minutes in the dark jerry

+2
Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 AT 5:25 PM
KENNYKBE

Jerry,
I would love to know your outcome. I spent a day trouble shooting the very same problem. I can MAKE the starter engage but the fuel pump relay and starter relays are not getting their ground. I'm about to have a PCM overnighted.
Please repost with your outcome.

Thanks ken

Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 7:24 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Hi Ken,

It was the PCM that went out he had it replaced for 199.00 with a plug and play unit and it worked perfect.

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken

Thursday, May 4th, 2017 AT 4:52 PM
ATELLEZ916@GMAIL.COM
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN

I have a 2003 doge caravan with a 3.3engine it has180 thousand miles it went off on me running it starter jerking on me running it went off and then I starterd againg and it ran for 2 miles and then it went off againg and today I turn it on and it ran for 5minutes then it went off againg now it wont crank up the engine is dead but the lights and etc work but I cant turn the engine on I Put a new battery n alternator n the starter has power but it wont turn on can u tell me whats wrong with it

Thursday, May 4th, 2017 AT 4:53 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371

Could be ignition switch or neutral saftey switch.

Beyond that, it sounds like you have another issue. Start with a fuel pressure test, compression and spark.

ED ATKINS
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN

2003 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 52000 miles

Parked in garage working fine wouldnt crank next morning battery OK ignition sending power to relay will crank if jump relay but wont start check engine light not on with key wont cycle battery went dead after setting a day

Does the vehicle have a factory alarm / security system? Also, have you checked to see if there is a draw on the battery or if it's just bad? Here is a how to for checking for a draw:

http://www.2carpros.com/first_things/why_is_my_car_battery_dead_over_night.htm

SHELLBELL33
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN

2003 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

When I turn the key to start it all the lights come on but it won't start. There is no clicking noise or any noise at all. The battery is good and the starter is good. But I will start sometimes. Then sometimes it won't. It doesn't start more than it does start. Do you have any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting first?

No crank at all/nothing/nada:

Could be a blown fusible link the starter, starter relay, clutch switch/park and neutral switch/transmission position switch and ignition switch assuming the battery and connections are good. Note:If it doesn't apply disregard.

JAMESCS
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN

2003 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100200 miles

my 2003 gr caravan now has a new starter attempting to solve this problem, but the problem remains, it still will not turnover at all sometimes, usually it will start cold but once warm and shut off for an hour or so it wont turnover.

The last time it sat for 3 days never once turning over, then suddenly it started up and runs fine.

I switched out a relay under the hood still the same thing.

Once it starts it runs fine for hours until you shut it off then it often wont turnover at times again

MHPAUTOS

Hi there,

You will have to check for power at the starter solenoid when it wont start, and if ok you may have a faulty new starter. If no power check back down the line to relay and relay power supply. Check battery terminals are clean and tight, and all earths are ok. Start here.

-1
JAMESCS

I measured the the volts at the big cable on the solenoid (not the plug in cable), it shows 26 volts without turning the ignition switch.

I replaced out 2 of the relays that pertain to the starter, still the same result.

Do I need ot measure the plug in wire to the solenoid?

Its hard to get a reading on it.

MHPAUTOS

Hi there,

You will need to make sure you are getting voltage at the solenoid wire when key on crank. If OK starter will be faulty.

JAMESCS

Drats, I measured ac instead of dc voltage!

Okay I will measure the other wire, I need to make a small cut in the insulation to get my test probe on it.

Thanks for the reply, I will get back tomorrow with results.

JAMESCS

No power to the solenoid is showing with the key switched to start.

I've swapped out the relays, should I check ignition switch next?

None of the grounds appear to be corroded anywhere.