1998 DODGE CARAVAN LOSING HEAT, ANTI FREEZE, WITH BAD SMELL

• pandorahunter
  • 1998 Dodge Caravan

1998 Dodge Caravan 4 cyl Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 79,000 miles

HI, I have a 1998 dodge caravan and it is losing anti freeze however we can not find a leak. It will over heat even in the winter with the heater on and the heater will not work well or stop. There is a large amount of thick smoke that smells when starting the car and when I check the oil stick it has a white-ish sludge on it. Do you have any idea what it is or where I should start?
Also just to let you know since I have seen this posted we also have blinking lights on our dash buttons and have ever since we had our breaks fixed years ago, this might be a model issue?
Thanks for any help you have !

Thursday, March 6th, 2008 AT 3:45 PM

• merlin2021

White sludge, is a sign of antifreeze getting into the block. If there's a lot of it, if it's only a minute amount, you need a new PCV. Any white smoke frome the tailpipe? If yes, have a block test, and compression test done, you may have a blown head gasket, or cracked head or block!

Thursday, March 6th, 2008 AT 3:57 PM
  • pandorahunter

Thanks for the advise I have a place to start from!

Wednesday, March 12th, 2008 AT 2:36 PM