1998 Dodge Caravan Caravan won't turn over

OZZMAN
  • 1998 DODGE CARAVAN
1998 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

We were driving on the interstate and something fell off the back of a trailer. It went under our Caravan and hit the bottom of the van hard. Is there a safety switch somewhere that tripped or could there be something else?
Tuesday, April 14th, 2009 AT 6:19 PM

BMRFIXIT
No safety switch
check and make sure you have oil in engine
check for any broken wire
did you shut it off or it died and will not start ?
does it crank ?

need manual CHECK IT @
http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/auto_repair_manuals.htm
_________________
Tuesday, April 14th, 2009 AT 7:21 PM
OZZMAN
Sorry it took so long to respond. Just got the internet back. When whatever it was hit the bottom of the van, my wife pressed the gas pedal while we were still going down the road and nothing happened. She pulled over and turned the ignition off and it won't even turn over. I've tried to change out some relay switches to see if that was the problem but it didn't work. I've looked under the van. No broken wires or visible damage. Any help would be appreciated.
Tuesday, May 12th, 2009 AT 12:21 AM
BMRFIXIT
Use a test light and check all fuses
check battery and terminals
when key on do you have a check engine light on (you should )
lets cycle key on off on off on off on read codes if any in the odometer area
check oil and if any leaking
Tuesday, May 12th, 2009 AT 5:21 AM
OZZMAN
When I cycle the key it gives me the code 1255. The battery keeps dying but when I charge the battery the van still wont start. The fuses are fine. And the oil is fine.
Saturday, May 23rd, 2009 AT 9:39 AM
BMRFIXIT
Code P1255
sorry not familiar with this code
need to get a test light and check for power at the starter and look for any broken wires
good luck
Saturday, May 23rd, 2009 AT 5:39 PM
OZZMAN
I found a cut wire to the neutral saftey switch. Fixed it and van running but over heating. I figure it's the thermostat or water pump.
Sunday, May 24th, 2009 AT 7:14 AM
BMRFIXIT
Fan realy and wiring at the same side
give it a good look too
good luck
Sunday, May 24th, 2009 AT 7:29 AM
Lots of defective logic. Relays and thermostat are up high and will not be affected by running over something. Water pump won't be damaged either. When you start throwing a bunch of parts at it without a proper diagnosis, you introduce a lot of new variables. BMRFIXIT suggested fan wiring. That makes the most sense. If he is right, it will not overheat on the highway when the wind is blowing through the radiator. If it does overheat, coolant is not circulating. Check for a crushed or pinched lower radiator hose, or a serpentine belt knocked off the pulleys. With the belt off, you won't have power steering either.

The codes you read are 12 and 55. 12 just means the ignition switch was turned off. 55 is the end of the message. Both of these are normal.

Wednesday, May 27th, 2009 AT 9:36 PM