1996 Dodge Caravan in dash gauges not working and radio int

BIGMACSC1
  • 1996 DODGE CARAVAN
I have a 96 dodge grand caravan es. When I got it the speedo, tach, fuel, temp, and odo gauges did not work. Then on the way home they all started working. Today they worked while I was driving around town and then I parked in my driveway and went to leave again later that night and none of them work. I have checked all the fuses on the drivers side inside and out. Am I missing some fuses somewhere? Also the radio works and I get static from the speakers when on am/fm. When you turn the power to it on and off I can here a clicking noise coming from the fuse panel under steering wheel. Please Help.
Friday, November 27th, 2009 AT 4:33 PM

CH112063
You may be. Under the hood is a power distribution center. You may find a problem there. The ground for both the radio and instrument panel are in the center of the dash, back behind the radio, and next to your left foot is a trim panel, there is a ground there and in the same place on the other side. If you can find out which relay or module is clicking, it may be that also. So there are 5 spots to look. And if you use a 12 volt test light and ground its clip on any good piece of steel or frame, it will light. This is a power test. If you put your test light to 12 volts, it becomes a ground check. If you find the clicking relay or module, write down the color of the wires, and let me know. Remember, when checking for grounds with a test light, the key should be off, so be careful as you may blow a fuse in one of the two fuse locations. 1. Where you already looked and 2. In the power distribution center, a black covered box, under the hood. Is this a Dodge radio?
In the power center number 2, I spoke of, there should be a couple of spare fuses and relays, so you have them. Need a 12volt test light to test for power or ground. This is the least expensive way to test an automotive circuit. And the only way, to make sure a fuse is good, and has power.
Friday, November 27th, 2009 AT 9:03 PM
AM and FM can both be intermittent on the Alpine-built cd / radio without cassette. I've repaired a lot of them. The repair is permanent but it's definitely not a do-it-yourself repair.

The Mitsubishi-built cd / cassette combo can develop intermittent FM only; not AM. These are also a complicated repair, but once repaired, it won't ever act up again. These problems stem from automated manufacturing techniques.

Besides what ch112063 mentioned, the connector pins on the back of the instrument cluster can work loose. Soldering them to the copper circuits is an effective repair.

Sunday, November 29th, 2009 AT 7:49 PM