3.0L 6 CYL. FUEL PUMP

1994 Dodge Caravan

Sephy333

September, 7, 2009 AT 9:26 PM

Noises problem
1994 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

ok my van runs great until it warms up and you try to drive it. It will start sputtering and die. Sometimes it will start right back up and sometimes you have to let it sit for a few minutes before you can start it again. It acts as though it isnt getting enough fuel sometimes but only after it is warmed up. We replaced the fuel filter already and tested the fuel relay fuse and it is fine. The thing we have noticed though is since it started having this problem my fuel pump whines loudly and runs constantly. My fuel pump doesnt ever shut off.I know it is supposed to turn on for a few seconds when you start but then isnt it supposed to shut off not run the whole time the engine is running?So is it the fuel pump or could something else have crapped out?Thanks all.

September, 8, 2009 AT 5:59 AM

My fuel pump doesnt ever shut off.I know it is supposed to turn on for a few seconds when you start but then isnt it supposed to shut off not run the whole time the engine is running?

Recheck the fuel pump relay and also test the ASD relay

When the engine is running the fuel pump suppose to operating at all times. I strongly recommend you actually check the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge to verify if its within specs-

Sephy333

September, 8, 2009 AT 9:36 AM

I guess I should have been more clear (it was late and I was tired) I know that the fuel runs as needed while the engine is on what I meant is that when you turn the key to run instead of just running for a few seconds to pressurize it just keeps going. It is making a loud whining noise that is noticable from the inside of the van which I know it wasnt doing before. And it will idle at warm temps for a while but as soon as you try to drive it and what not it starts acting like it isnt getting any gas. We have already changed the fuel filter and checked the fuel and asd relays multiple times.I have also already changed the TPS, had the EGR valve checked, cleaned the throttle plate, bought a new distributor, rotor, and optical pickup coil(ignition module), coolant temp sensor and really am at my wits end with this thing.I cannot afford to buy a new van and with this not running right I cant even sell it to get the money back for the parts we have put in it. My FIL was the one who suggested the fuel pump since he was having the same problems with his car and it turned out to be the pump. And after some research online we have decided it could be the pump or it could be the fuel pressure regulator.I was just tryng to see if the symptoms fit the pump more or if they fit the regulator failing more.

September, 8, 2009 AT 1:45 PM

To rule out the fuel pump and pressure regulator you must check the fuel pressure-The pressure reading should be 48psi

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe