REMOVE STARTER AND SOLENOID

1993 Dodge Caravan

INTERESTED

April, 7, 2009 AT 1:49 PM

1993 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 167, 00 miles

It was difficult to remove starter but I can't see the bolts or nuts to remove solenoid. I want to bench test and replace them if necessary. Is ther any drawing that would show where the mounting bolts are for solenoid?

BMRFIXIT

April, 7, 2009 AT 8:21 PM

Bosch
Remove starter. Remove 2 starter solenoid field terminal nuts. Remove 3 solenoid mounting screws and remove solenoid. Remove 2 through bolts securing starter drive end housing to motor housing. Remove rubber seal and pull gear and clutch assembly from drive housing. To install, reverse removal procedure.
Nippondenso
Remove starter. Remove 2 gear housing attaching screws and separate gear housing from solenoid housing. Remove pinion gear, pinion gear bearing, and drive gear from gear housing. Remove starter gear and clutch assembly from solenoid housing. Clean and lubricate pinion gear, bearing and drive gear and reinstall in gear housing. Install starter gear and clutch assembly in solenoid. To install starter, reverse removal procedure.

INTERESTED

April, 19, 2009 AT 2:15 PM

I removed 3 screws as suggested but only the plunger came out of solenoid. Solenoid is still there and I don't see nuts, bolts or screws that hold the solenoid.

Also if the information helps, yes donation can be made by m.o. because I don't use credit card.
thank u much.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/341295_IMG_6955_1.jpg

INTERESTED

April, 21, 2009 AT 3:47 PM

DO U ACCEPT DONATION BY POSTAL MAIL?

BMRFIXIT

April, 21, 2009 AT 9:30 PM

Is the starter still in the truck ?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic1_308.jpg

INTERESTED

April, 22, 2009 AT 1:32 PM

The Starter is out. I also removed 3 screws (short) from solenoid and just the plunger and cover came out as u can see in the photo. The solenoid is still there except the plunger. I can't see the nut or bolts that hold the solenoid.

caradiodoc

April, 27, 2009 AT 3:01 AM

You're making this way too complicated. Are you trying to solve an intermittent loud clunk / no-crank? Once you pulled the plunger out, look at the two copper contacts. You'll see they're burned away. Replacements and shipping are around 20 bucks. The small one is called the " battery" terminal. The other one has three versions; symmetrical, offset to the left, and offset to the right. You can never know which style you have until you peek inside.

Takes about 15 minutes to replace them once the starter is off the engine.

INTERESTED

April, 27, 2009 AT 9:27 AM

THANK U CARDIODOC even though ur information came in late. In the meantime I cleaned the plunger and starter brushes etc. Lubed the bearings and did not find anything burnt so I put everything back making sure every contact is clean. Of course I don't do things without a prayer. So it cranked the engine very well and started on April 23rd. It's still working.
Your information is still GOOD for future.

I don't use credit card to make donation I can use m.O. But I don't know where to send it. THANKS.

caradiodoc

April, 27, 2009 AT 2:29 PM

I don't get compensated, but thank you for the offer. Instead, holler back when you need the contacts. I have about a dozen of each style because I have five cars that use the same starter. I replaced the contacts in my mother's '95 Grand Caravan a few years ago. The intermittent no-crank got progressively worse over about three months. The last straw was when she lost count after 700 tries and a blister on her thumb before it finally cranked!

I have the plungers too, but they usually don't have to be replaced. There's three versions of them. One is about 1/8" longer than the other one. Those two are used in Chrysler starters, but you have to match the new one to your old one. The third size is only used in Toyota starters and has to be purchased from the Toyota dealer.

Starter Solenoid Need Replacing?
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011