2008 Dodge Avenger ENGINE STALLING

MARKEDINRED
  • 2008 DODGE AVENGER
What causes the engine to stall when stopped at lights? I've had it in several times to dealership however stalling does not register on computer and they are unable to recreate problem. When vehicle is idling, the rpms are running at about 500, then a sudden drop under that and it stalls. No lights come on the dash to let me know it has stalled. Also, putting car into reverse or drive from park will cause it to stall intermittently, and putting rear defrost will cause the rpms to drop enough to stall it. Originally would only happen when outside temp was above -5 (Canada) however after dealership cleaned fuel injection system and put gas line antifreeze in it now happens at -18. Please give me some ideas so I can take them to the dealership and congratulate them on letting me do their job!
Monday, February 2nd, 2009 AT 7:08 AM

Hi:
I would start by checking for vacuum leaks. Also, the engine should idle at 900 RPS in park and about 700 in gear. When you put the rear defrost on, it is putting enough load on the alt to kill the engine at such a low idle. If I had to guess, I would say there is a problem with the throttle position sensor, but I can't guarantee that without a check engine light and code. Since you are not getting that, I would check for vacuum leaks.

Also, the car has a 5 year 50K 100% warranty on emission components, so any sensor or emission component is covered parts and labor. Maybe you could ask them to replace the TPS under warranty. Also, if the car keeps dieing on you, it is a hazzard. If you purchased the car new, they have 3 chances to repair a potential dangerous problem. If they can't fix it, it may qualify for the lemon law.

Check for vacuum leaks and see if they can bump the base idle up to the RPM I mentioned. If there is a vacuum leak, usually you can hear a hissing sound.

Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 6:18 PM
KCARR
Hello, This sounds like the same problem I had. The car would stall when coming to a stop or shifting into gear (rev or forward). It would also Idle low 500-700. When I would give it gas it would hesitate, almost like it would want to stall. I have it in the shop now. They just called me and said it's the EGR Valve ( Exhaust Gas Recirculation). They said they were able to disconnect it and drive around, They said that did not stall when disconnected. But they have to instal a new one for enviromental reasons. Part is around 75.00. Hope this helps you. I will let you know when I get the car back.

I have had the car back for over a week now. Problem fixed. It was the EGR Valve. Hopefully I can get another 130,000 miles on it.
+1
Friday, March 13th, 2009 AT 5:21 PM
I don't know how many miles or the year of your car, but that falls under the emissions warranty, 5 years or 50K with a 0 deductable.

Make sure it is covered under warranty if you can.

Friday, March 13th, 2009 AT 11:23 PM
RPLEB35
This happened to my Avenger also at 34,000 miles. I took it to the dealer and they had a rash of Avengers come back in the last few weeks because of the same problem. They were told by Dodge to redo the TPSM recall. They told me that salt build up on the original TPSM recall still would make the car stall. Not sure if that is right but its been a week and my car is running ok. For now.
Monday, January 11th, 2010 AT 8:47 PM