2000 Dodge Avenger stalls on decelleration

SIRGREGORY1ST
  • 2000 DODGE AVENGER
At first car only stalled occasionally on deceleration then after a week stalled every time I decelerated (stop signs, turns and seems to occur under 1000 rpm) at first idle was fine but now idles rough and dies sometimes when idle but always dies when I slow down. Car runs a lot better when cold but after 1/4 mile of driving will die when decelerating. Drives fine when not slowing down and slows down fine until under 1000rpm.
took it in and mechanic replaced: valve cover gaskets, cleaned the EGR, new wires, new plugs, idle speed control motor/valve, and changed the oil. He said there is a map sensor error causing the engine light and replaced the map sensor but car is exactly the same as before. He gave up (cost me a so much and same problem please help). He said take it to dealer and maybe replace the computer (he said that would be expensive. Just the new plug wires cost $200 and he thinks this will be expensive! God only know s how much that will cost me. I have read a lot of the same problem but all treads just seem to ask the question with no answers. He also recommended me junking the car. :-0 because of the high miles but I cant afford that. Currently I shift to neutral on deceleration and use left foot for break while maintaining 1500 rpm with right foot sometimes I cut it too close and engine drops from 1000 to 0, when I try to push the gas to compensate (if that happens) there is a lag but sometimes it takes just before it dies and rev's to 3000 and hold s for 5 sec or so before drifting back down if that helps any.

ok been about a week, am I doing something wrong with this post, I tried to give as much info as I could. Why is no one responding? Not even an "I don't know"? I didn't mention high miles meant 180000.
Tuesday, March 25th, 2008 AT 11:22 AM

SIRGREGORY1ST
I replaced the PCV Valve ($3) myself and the gasket it fits into the valve cover at ($4). Figured what would it hurt at that price. But no change. It actually seemed like it was fixed for 15 min. It started without having to push on gas and idled down to 500 rpm with no problems, drove it around the parking a while and thought the 7 bucks did the trick drove it home 10miles parked in the drive way idling, went in the house to leave short note for my wife and when back out and it had died. Was back to exactly how it was before.? Still need help please someone's had to have this problem before and found a solution. Dies during deceleration, after a week of that it will no longer idle and now will not start with out pushing on the gas.
Thursday, April 3rd, 2008 AT 2:47 PM
KAREN_VABCH
I notice you posted back in April. No replies here but I was curious if you were able to find a fix for your avenger elsewhere? My car has been in the shop for about the same time since you posted your question, and they can't figure it out there.

Karen_vabch@yahoo. Com
Wednesday, May 21st, 2008 AT 11:13 PM
SIRGREGORY1ST
I took it to another garage and they replaced the EGR valve, The other place only cleaned it and moved on. After all the money and time I put in to it switching out things, this place fixed it in about 1.5 hrs and charged me about $120. Now thinking back on it, it may have been a combo to the things I did fix (listed above) but If I had to do it again, I would definitely start with cleaning the EGR and if that didn't work then replacing it. Then moving to the other things I tried. The worst thing about it is that the EGR problem had no error code for the computer, the error codes were all from problems resulting from the EGR problem, and that's what confused the other garage. Good luck. I love this car but this problem was a @#$@##$#@#$#. This is the only problem I've ever had with it. Good luck
+1
Thursday, May 22nd, 2008 AT 2:57 PM
1996AVENGEROWNER
My 1996 Avenger V6 is doing the same thing. Comes up with various check engine lights. One was throttle position sensor--easy fix, so I replaced that. No luck. Decided to take the car to the dealer to figure it out and just before I took it in the CEL came on again. Dealer said code was for rear upstream O2 sensor(I have 4 sensors, and this is the only one that isn't obvious when you are under the car), and they tested it and it was stuck at center. They say the throttle body needs to be decarbonized too, but they don't think any of this will solve the problem. I saw that the EGR valve was listed as the cause of the same problem in a sebring. I'll replace the O2 sensor and if the problem persists, the EGR valve is next! Thanks for your post! If anyone has any other advice, I'd appreciate it.
Wednesday, July 16th, 2008 AT 1:33 PM
99DODGEAVENGER
I had a similar problem with my 99 Avenger last October. Engine light was on and ran a code related to the EGR. After talking with a couple people, the consensus was that nobody thought the EGR valve/sensors/whatever was causing the problem. So it's either another air problem, electrical, or fuel related.

I cleaned up the throttle body which was dirty but didn't help anything.

I started thinking the fuel pump might be having some troubles, so I bought one of those as well as a new fuel filter (they should be changed at the same time). Since the filter was $20 and the pump was $140, I decided to try just putting the filter on and see what would happen. No more stalling for 8 months.

Now it's doing it again. I'm at 165k miles, so it's getting old and I only need to keep it running until winter or so, so I think I'm going to try putting another fuel filter on it. If I decide to keep it longer, I may do a new pump and EGR.
Wednesday, July 23rd, 2008 AT 1:41 PM
JNBLANK
I am working at a dodge dealership and have heard of the avengers have a problem with aftermarket distributors. I have a car in my stall right now that is stalling out. I read the posts and it sounds like the egr would be the fix. The only thing is is that the vehicle has no cel light on. Makes it even harder. Im gonna due a fuel filter because its plugged up and then block off the EGR system. If it stalls like that, the the EGR is not the problem. But if it runs fine, then it is the problem and will be fixed. But just to keep in mind, dont forget about the distributor. The camshaft sensor is part of that. The system is called a speed density system and needs that signal to run. Along with the map sensor.
Monday, August 18th, 2008 AT 9:21 PM
SAM023
I just left my car at the dodge dealership near where I live and they have had it for about 7 days now and They cant seem to figure it out, I don't understand how this is stumping everyone I sure wish someone knew how to fix this problem I want my car back Other then this Idle issue at stops my car runs great, I've replaced timing belt, EGR, distributor and distributor cap crank shaft positioning sensor and still no change. Hopefully I hear something good on Monday.
Saturday, August 25th, 2012 AT 8:51 PM