My engine crank over but no start?

BUCKBELL66
  • 1999 FORD F-150
Can you help me fix it please? I need to get to work
Saturday, June 1st, 2019 AT 4:09 PM

DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

This sounds like a fuel pump or the crankshaft angle sensor has gone out. When you turn the key to the on position without cranking the engine over can you hear the fuel pump run in the tank for 5 seconds?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Please run down this guide and report back. Sounds like a faulty in-tank fuel pump.

Here is a tutorial showing what is involved for its replacement:

Also including a tutorial showing how to test the pressure. If you don't have a fuel pressure tester your local auto parts stores have a loaner program and can rent you one.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-electric-fuel-pump

The fuel pressure specifications with Key On-Engine Off are 35-45 PSI. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
Danny-
Saturday, June 1st, 2019 AT 7:28 PM
BUCKBELL66
It was the crankshaft sensor. Btw, sorry for the late response.
Saturday, January 16th, 2021 AT 11:27 AM
NOLE4LIFE
  • 1999 FORD F-150
Solenoid clicks but won't turn over and start.
Monday, January 18th, 2021 AT 2:09 PM (Merged)
KASEKENNY1
Hi,

When the starter clicks but doesn't turn over it is normally the starter has failed.

Here is a guide that goes into a little more detail:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/starter-not-working-repair

There are some other possible causes but the vast majority of the time it is the starter. As long as the battery is charged properly, I would go ahead and replace the starter.
RICK ANDERSON2
  • 1999 FORD F-150
  • 2,505,000 MILES
I tried jumping my truck it started with jumper cables but when I disconnected the truck shut off.
ASEMASTER6371
Good evening,

You need to charge your battery to 12.6 volts.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-charge-your-car-battery

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-battery-load-test

Then you need to test the alternator to see if it is sending 14 to 14.5 volts back to the battery. You could have a bad alternator.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-alternator

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-alternator

REMOVAL
1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

NOTE: When the battery has been disconnected or reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) relearns its fuel trim. The vehicle may need to be driven 18 km (10 miles) or more to relearn the fuel trim.

2. Remove the drive belt.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

3. Remove the bracket bolts.
4. Disconnect the ignition wire from the generator bracket.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

5. Remove the (A) bolts and the (B) Generator (GEN).

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

6. Disconnect the generator electrical connections.
1 Disconnect the generator electrical connectors.
2 Remove the generator B+ cable nut and washer assembly.
3 Disconnect the generator B+ cable.
BLUESPIDER
  • 1999 FORD F-150
When I turn the key nothing happens, it wont even turn over. Starter, alternator, battery, fuel injectors and wiring, coil pack are all new. When I went to autozone they said starter solenoid. Do I need specific one? When I replace does cable from starter and battery have to be on one particular node (screw)? Thanks!
Monday, January 18th, 2021 AT 2:11 PM (Merged)
Yes, the wires go to specific places. Mark them so you don't mix them up.

As far as the solenoid, you either have one on the starter you just got or one on the inner fender. If you don't have on the inner fender, then there should be a new one on the starter.

One last thing. Auto Zone should know which solenoid you need. Make sure to disconnect the battery (neg terminal) before you start working on the solenoid.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Happy Thanksgiving,

PS: Please keep in mind, there are other things that can cause this problem. Let me know if it continues.
MHPAUTOS
The solenoid is just a heavy duty switch, the battery cables can go on either main post.

LILLEIGHS
  • 1999 FORD F-150
Other Category problem
1999 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 280K miles

I need your help please. Truck won't start at all, won't turn over, nothing, no clicking sound that the battery is dead. Radio works, lights are on, just won't start. Let it sit for a few hours, and it started fine, drove fine, no problems. Shut it off, same thing, won't start again. Any ideas?
BLACKOP555
Clean and tighten the battery cable connections at the battery, starter relay and starter, with someone holding the key in the on position hit the starter with a hammer, does it turn? If so you have a frozen starter.

If still nothing id change the starter relay.
+1
RKCOX93
  • 1999 FORD F-150
My father in law has a 1999 Ford F150 with a triton v8 automatic tranny and he is having some starting issues. He can go out in it and it starts fine, run his errands with stops and restarts with no problems. Then he goes to start it again and nothing happens. He turns the key and the gauges turn on but the starter does nothing. Pulled a load test on the battery and everything was fine but wont start. Had it towed to the dealer and then it started. Dealer can't look at it for 2 weeks, so does anybody have any ideas?
TAURUSWHEEL
After checking all connections for secure fit, also make sure you check the bat terminals closely, make sure one is not cracked or split. I actually had that problem a couple years ago, intermittant no-start, no power issue, term had split, only careful inspection revealed it as it wasn't completely across the term, enough to loosen the term. Then I'd look at the starter itself. If you get the no-crank, have someone smack the starter with a wrench or hammer, not overly hard, to see if it'll work.
TLSIMS821
  • 1999 FORD F-150
My boyfriend busted out my ignition switch and broke some things in it. When I try to put it back together it still will not start and my security light is flashing very fast. A friend tried putting a transceiver from a 2001 F150 on it but not sure if it is wired right or if it will even work. Please help with any advice. I am a single mom and that is my only way. Thank you
JOETECHPRO
Hey TLSIMS821,

Are you using a new ignition barrel with new keys or are you still using the original keys?

I have attached the wiring diagram for the transceiver but the unit from the 2001 should plug straight in and work.

If you have new keys you will need to program them to the PATS (passive anti theft system)

You will need a scanner that can access the PATS system to program new keys.

Regards, Joe
SABLERUNNER
  • 1999 FORD F-150
Since yesterday my f150 would start when it wants to.I turn the key nothing happens then later on it decides to start.I bougt a new battery and a new ignition switch so far no luck.
2CEXPT
Its time to check the transmission range sensor/starter relay and starter itself-

Do this have helper hold key to start position and bang on the starter-if it engages the engine-overall or replace the starter. If not check for power on the small red wire at starter-do you have it ?

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_start_circuit_2.jpg

Sponsored links