Clutch and Flywheel

  • 4.6L
  • V8
  • RWD
  • 111,000 MILES
Hello, I just watched the video when you guys replaced the clutch and flywheel on a 2005 Ford Mustang GT. The silicone that you guys used to place back on the rear main assembly. Whats the name of that stuff and where can I find it?
Do you
have the same problem?
Monday, June 13th, 2016 AT 6:41 PM

1 Reply

There are only two silicone products I am aware of. One is Silicon Spray Lube in a spray can. That is used to make parts slide freely. A perfect example is when trying to slide a rubber heater hose onto a metal pipe. It works great for rubber window channels too when a power window is sluggish. The stuff goes on like water, evaporates, and leaves a film of "slippery" behind.

The more common products are silicone gasket sealers. I use two from the Chrysler dealer's parts department only because I am very familiar with them. The black stuff stays more rubbery and cleans off very easily but it will not bond through a film of oil or transmission fluid. The gray stuff gets a little harder but it will seal and bond through a film of oil. That makes it ideal for resealing transmission pans that may not be perfectly clean.

You can find both of these products at any auto parts store, hardware store, home improvement store, or dealer's parts department. When working on sealing engine parts, the gasket sealers give off fumes as they cure, and some of those fumes will damage oxygen sensors. Be sure to use a product rated safe to use for oxygen sensors. These are often referred to as "RTV" silicone gasket sealer. That stands for "room temperature vulcanizing".
Was this
Monday, June 13th, 2016 AT 7:14 PM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Recommended Guides