Cj will only start with starter fluid or pouring gas into carb

KIDKARR
  • 1981 JEEP CJ7
I have an i6 258 in my 81 cj7. It ran like a top last time out (prob several months). I can not get it to start now without pouring gas or starter fluid into the carb. It will run fine until these burn off or are used up. The discharge side of the fuel filter is pumping plenty of gas out when running. Any thoughts?

I am not sure how old the gas in the tank is. I added 2 gallons of premium fuel when I could not get it started. It prob had a gallon or two in it prior to the new fuel being added. I keep sta-bil in the tank when not using it much. I pumped about a quart of fuel out of the fuel filter to try and exhaust some of the old fuel in the lines.

Any Ideas on why it would not be running?
Tuesday, June 9th, 2015 AT 8:20 AM

I am assuming this is a carb set up. Fuel pressure should be about 3-4 psi with a half pint of fuel in 30seconds. If this is what you get then it's probably a carb problem like the float is low or alcohol has eaten the center of the float out so it will never rise to give enough fuel to run. Best bet here is to either get an overhaul kit with a new float or get a rebuilt or new carb. Being so old and not having carb overhauled or rebuilt is probably the problem. More than likely a ton of junk in carb bowl as well.
+1
Tuesday, June 9th, 2015 AT 12:25 PM
DIFFERENT FELLER

LITTLE INFO

THE FLOATS IN A CARTER BBD ARE BRASS AND "RISE" AND SHUT OFF THE FUEL

IT'S POSSIBLE THE NEEDLE AND SEAT HAS THE NEEDLE "STUCK" IN THE SEAT, NOT ALLOWING FUEL TO FLOW IN. TAKE THE RUBBER HANDLE PART OF YOUR HAMMER OR A RUBBER MALLET AND SORTA GENTLY SMACK THE FRONT SIDE OF THE CARB A FEW TIMES!

SO IF BOTH FLOATS HAD HOLES IN 'EM, YOU WOULD HAVE FUEL DUMPING OUT OF THE CARB EVERYWHERE!

THE CARTER BBD IS PRETTY BULLETPROOF!

HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN SINCE A TUNE UP - OR ANY NEW TUNING STUFF?

IS YOUR FUEL SYSTEM SET UP LIKE THE PICS I'M SHOWING BELOW? (MINUS MY 2 GADGETS)

IF YOU REMOVE THE RUBBER FUEL LINE FROM THE CARB AND TURN THE ENGINE OVER A FEW REVOLUTIONS, DOES FUEL COME OUT?

WHEN WE GET HIM RUNNING, I CAN CONTINUE WITH YOU IN TWEAKING THE ENGINE AND ANY OTHER CJ ISSUES YOU MAY HAVE.

LIST ANY MODIFICATIONS THAT MAY HAVE BEEN DONE

REMOVE YOUR BREATHER, HOOD AGAINST THE WINDSHIELD AND SEND GOOD, WELL LIT PICS OF THE LEFT, RIGHT, AND OVERHEAD SHOTS OF THE ENGINE

I'M PRETTY GOOD AT SPOTTING PROBLEMS WITH THE WHOLE SET UP

Tuesday, June 9th, 2015 AT 5:56 PM
DID YA GET LOST?

ME AND THE OTHER GUY HAVE BEEN STANDING HERE IN THE GARAGE AWAITING YOUR RETURN

Sunday, June 14th, 2015 AT 2:08 PM