2004 Chrysler Town and Country Srepentine Belt Flap

JAMBUCH
  • 2004 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
2004 Chrysler Town and Country 3.8 L V6.

The belt flaps between the air conditioner compressor and the crank pulley. It makes no difference if the AC compressor is enguaged or not.

It seems to be a function of the idle speed of the engine It flaps at 750 rpm =/- 150. At 600 or 900 it will not flap.

I have replaced the water pump, the alternator, serpentine belt last fall. The problem seemed to be fixed until now.

We have had a cool temperatures for the last few days and the belt flap is almost not existent. I noticed that during the cool weather that the idle RPM is at 600. As the temperature increase to the mid 90's the engine idles at 750 and the belt flap is back.

I have tried a second belt and a replacement belt tightner and found that the flap was more severe with the new Gates tightner.

The flap is independent of whether or not the air conditioner compressor is engaged.

All of the pulley are in-line and no visible wobble even when the belt is flapping.

My parts dealer indicates that he sells quite a few harmonic balancer drive pulleys. Could I have a deteriation of the rummer which is molded into the pulley?

Thanks for your help.

Jim
Monday, July 5th, 2010 AT 10:06 AM

Jim:
I doubt the harmonic balancer is the problem. Are you certain that the belt is properly routed?
Thursday, July 8th, 2010 AT 8:46 PM
JAMBUCH
Yes the belt in on correctly. I had the flap problem last August and at that time I replaced the water pump, altenator and belt and the problem went away till Feburary of this year. I was on my way to Florida. It flaped for a day or so and then went away.
It returned late June this year. Replaced the belt still flaped. Replaced the tightner and it still flaped. With the transmision in park the belt doesn't flap. You turn on the AC on or off and no flap. Put the transmission in drive and the belt begins to flap. While in drive the belt will STOP flapping when the engine RPM slows down to about 600. Increase the RPM and the belt will flap between 650 to 850 RPM. 750 being the point where flap is the worse. With some one else holding the brake down I can observe about 1/2 inch of flap between the harmonic balancer pully and the A/C pulley. All of the pullies are running true. The belt tightner pully is moving to take up the belt slack.

With the belt off I have checked the all of the pullies for roughness and bearing problems by turning them. Nothing evident.

I got up yesterday and thougnt I would make a table of what I observed to help the mechanic figure out what to replace next. Started it up and backed it out of the garague. NO flap. Drove it around town and NO flap.

I tried the broom handle trick to listen to the altenator. NO bearing noise. NO AC bearing noise.

The only thing I can say definitly is it will only flap when the transmission is in drive and I stop at a stop light. People start looking around to see where the nose is comming from.

Could this be a transmission problem?

Expensive to have it repaired and it isnt the problem!

Same for the AC

Thanks for your help.

This may be a good problem to stump your mechanic friends with.
Friday, July 9th, 2010 AT 9:23 AM
The only thing I can say is the belt tensionier or a belt that is slightly too long. I don't think the trans has anything to do with it.
Friday, July 9th, 2010 AT 9:14 PM
JAMBUCH
In my last note I indicated that the problem went away. That was on the 9th. It's back! On the 21st. I went on a trip and drove about 600 miles and it is back. It returned on the last day. Probably some where around 500 miles into the trip.

To day I purchased some fule injector cleaner to see if I have a miss at idle when the transmission puts load on the engine. Can't hear a miss.

JIM
Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 6:44 PM
Is it doing it all the time again?
Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 11:47 PM
JAMBUCH
It only happens when the transmission is in drive or reverse and the car is not moving.

Put it in neutral an the flapping stops. It makes no difference if the AC in on or off.

Jim
Thursday, July 22nd, 2010 AT 1:54 PM
How low is the engine idling when in gear? Could it be caused by a very low idle?
Thursday, July 22nd, 2010 AT 11:24 PM
JAMBUCH
I sure wished it had a carborator with an idle adjustment screw.

In neutral, with ac off, idle is 800 NO flap
In neutral, A/C on, idle is 725, NO flap
In drive, A/C on or off idle is 650, belt Flap
In reverse, A/C on or off, Idle is 650, Belt Fap

Put foot on brake and bring RPM up to 900 and flap goes away.

Last week when it stoped flapping for several days the idle RPM was slightly lower then 600.

Jim

Jim
Friday, July 23rd, 2010 AT 9:50 AM