Brake Pedal Goes to The Floor

BFUGER
  • 2000 CHRYSLER SEBRING

Brakes problem 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 65000 miles

Car is a Sebring convertible JXI. Just replaced all four brake pads and rotors that were in poor condition. Brake pedal was spongy before the parts were replaced. After replacement, the brake pedal would go to the floor with the engine running. Decided to bleed the brakes. Bled 1.5 quarts throughout the brake system to include bleeding the master cylinder. Got a hard pedal when engine was not running. Soon as the engine is running the pedal goes to the floor. Tried bleeding with the engine running and saw a very mild improvement, but still goes t the floor. Many thanks for your assistance.

Sunday, August 23rd, 2009 AT 6:56 AM

2CARPROS KEN

It sounds like there is air trapped inside the ABS valve unit which has been there for a while and made worse when you did the brakes. You will need to have an ABS brake tool open the valves and then rebleed the system.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-bleed-or-flush-a-car-brake-system

This guide can help as well.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/brake-pedal-goes-to-the-floor

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

Friday, November 17th, 2017 AT 7:21 PM
PTTERRY
  • 2000 CHRYSLER SEBRING

Brakes problem
2000 Chrysler Sebring 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

We replaced a front wheel brake hose and the master cylinder but after bleeding all the wheels we still have no petal at all.

Friday, November 17th, 2017 AT 7:22 PM (Merged)
ZACKMAN

You have to also bleed the ABS module. Unfortunately, unless you have a DRB tool handy, this operation has to be performed at a shop with specialized equipment. A DRB tool (a computer/scanner) is required to bleed the ABS.

+1
ST8OFCNFUSION
  • 2001 CHRYSLER SEBRING

Brakes problem
2001 Chrysler Sebring 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

i changed all the brakes and rotors on my car cause it had a shake in the front which come to find out my front brakes were warped and the back ones needed changed reguardless now I have no shake but I have no brakes well the pedal goes to the floor unless I pump them to stop we have bled them several times to no avail and one thing I did as a dumb woman was sent to the parts store alone and got brakes and rotors for a 2006 instead of a 2001 does that make a difference if not waht else can we do to get brakes back to working order I had good brakes before just the shake?

MHPAUTOS

Hi there,

With no pedal pressure you will have a hydraulic problem, if the brakes have been bleed correctly and you still have an issue, what may have happened is that the master cylinder cup has failed and you are getting a fluid by-pass in the master cyl, I will go check Mitchell 1 just to see if there is any special bleed requirements as well.

MHPAUTOS

I will need exact model for information on parts you fitted as there are different part No for model variants.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/61395_Capture_65.jpg

BRAD87
  • 2002 CHRYSLER SEBRING

My friends and I are working on a 2002 chrysler sebring. We are trying to bleed the brakes and have bleed them 4 times but the 1st pump goes right to the floor then after that there good

DOCFIXIT

Drums on rear? If yes check adjustment if out will cause problem. Was system repaired? Hydraulics opened?

RTS59
  • 2006 CHRYSLER SEBRING

My car suffers from insufficient braking. It stops, just not very well. In a panic stop I am unable to make the car skid (lock up the wheels) at any speed. The car does NOT have ABS (although I wish it did). The original rotors showed signs of excessive wear such that the contact surface with the pads was below the original face of the rotors by more than a few hundredths of an inch. So I replaced all 4 rotors & pads front & rear. I replaced the fronts with slotted rotors in an attempt to improve wet braking. With the original OE rotors there were times in the rain when I had absolutely NO brakes. I think the slots have fixed this situation. But still I can't make the car skid. Something is still wrong.

I've checked all the plumbing front to back & top to bottom for leaks & can find no external leaks. If there are internal leaks in the Master Cylinder or Booster they're not visible.

The pedal is NOT spongy. When I press on the brakes the pressure holds fine. The pedal NEVER goes to the floor. Even when I had no brakes in the rain the pedal held firm, the car just didn't stop (it actually felt like it accelerated when I slammed on the brakes. Yikes.). If I held the brakes on periodically in the rain the rotors stayed dry enough that I had brakes, but it meant riding the brakes, a situation I find very unnerving.

I ran a diagnostic for the booster which claims the booster is working A-OK. I had a booster fail on my truck a number of years ago & I could spot the problem when I first started it up in the morning. I would step on the brake before starting the truck & when the engine vacuum was applied to the booster the brake pedal would drop. This car shows no signs of the pedal falling under any circumstances so I'm not convinced that the booster is the problem.

I can't locate the proportioning valve. I'm sure there's one in there somewhere but it's not obvious. I'm not sure how to reset it even if I knew where it was.

So I'm stumped. Any suggestions appreciated.

As far as the proportioning valve, it is not serviceable. I have to be honest, every informative source I checked shows these vehicles only come with ABS, so I can't use the shop manuals. Everything you described sounds normal. So where do we turn. The only thing I can think of is the type of brake pad you are using. Can you tell me the brand and type they are?

RTS59

The original pads were the OEM semi-mets front & rear. Both sets had plenty of miles left. No glazing or other issues I could identify.

I replaced the front pads with the Hawk HPS semi-met pads hoping for more stopping power - not so much. The rears are Monroe ceramics.

Either one of them should do the job. I have to be honest, I'm not a fan of the ceramic pads. Yes, they wear longer, but they kill rotors and in my mind, they don't stop as well. However, you have semi metalic ones in the front, and the front does 60% of the stopping.

I hate to say it, but I'm stumped. It sounds like you have tried everything I would have recommended.

RTS59

Thanks for the consideration. Since I've run out of things to "improve" at the wheel end my only other choice is the pedal end. I can't condemn either the MC or booster based on performance but everything else is new. Once I take of the MC I may as well replace the booster as well. Oh well.

Thanks again.