1988 Chrysler Le Baron No Spark

CETILLMAN2
  • 1988 CHRYSLER LE BARON
1988 Chrysler Le Baron 4 cyl Automatic 65000 miles

We have a 1988 Chrysler labaron. Pulled up to a stop sign and it just died. Had to tow it home and now it will turn over fine but no spark. We replaced the ignition coil and the pick up coil in the distributor but nothing changed. Any ideas where to go next? I doubt this has anything to do with the problem but the fuel gauge quit working like 2 days before.
Monday, March 29th, 2010 AT 8:06 AM

Check for voltage on the two small wires on the back of the alternator during engine cranking. If one of them has full battery voltage, continue to troubleshoot the no-spark problem. If there is no voltage to either of them during cranking, you dont have fuel either. Troubleshoot the Automatic Shutdown (ASD) relay and distributor pickup circuit. Remove the distributor cap and watch if the rotor turns during cranking. If it does not, suspect a problem with the timing belt.

Monday, March 29th, 2010 AT 9:11 AM
LEBARON100%
I have same problem with the Le Baron 1987 2, 2l turbo cabrio: no spark, the engine won't start.
I checked for voltage on the two small wires on the back of the alternator during engine cranking. One of them has full battery voltage.
The rotor under the distributor cap spins while cranking the engine, ASD is working fine, but there is still no spark.
I' ve checked the voltage on the ignition coil: after turning the ignition switch it' s 0, 7 V less than the battery voltage for one second (11, 3V) BUT it' s gone when cranking the engine, it' s 0, 2V then.
Could you advice me what to check next?
The ignition coil and the pickup sensor are just replaced for a brand new ones, but it didn' t help. I also checked fusible links, the map sensor: they are OK.

I will appreciate every useful hint, hoping for finally getting it repaired.
Many many thanks in advance!
Tuesday, April 19th, 2016 AT 5:02 AM