2004 Chevy Tahoe AIR BAG LIGHT

DIXIE64
  • 2004 CHEVROLET TAHOE
Computer problem
2004 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 58673. Miles

My "check airbag" light came on, so I took it to the dealership and they ran a diagnostic on it. The mechanic told me that the two crash detector sensors located by the radiator were bad, one was corroded and the other had a short in it. 319.68 for parts. Ugh. Then he said that he would call GM to see if they could help on these costs. Does that seem weird to anyone? Is there something they may not be telling me, or is there another to fix this sensors, can I do it myself (when I say myself I mean my husband). Thanks for any info.
Wednesday, July 23rd, 2008 AT 4:21 PM

RYANUNI
I am not sure about this area of the vehicle, although it does seem strange. I have never heard of an airbag sensor bieng bad much less two on a 2004. I would get a second opinion but this is not an issue I would attempt to address myself, like I said I dont know much about it but more importantly I know the consequences of a mistake in this area. All I can say is if you or your husband attempt to repair or modify your airbag sensors MAKE SURE THE BATTERY IS COMPLETELY DISCONNECTED! I know airbags are expensive and you never get that powdery crap all out ;)
Wednesday, July 23rd, 2008 AT 9:00 PM