CHEVY 4X4 PROBLEM

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe

inkedup

July, 28, 2009 AT 2:28 AM

2003 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 190000 miles

the service four wheel drive message comes on. I have replaced the selector switch on the dash. I also replaced the transfer case control module and had it programmed by the dealer. I changed the fluids in everything. Im down to maybe a transfer case motor or a speed sensor not sure. When I start it up the selector lights on the dash switch are supposed to stay where you left it but it has a mind of its own. It may start in low range, automatic, or really any of them, but what the main thing is when driving in 2 wheel after a block or so the transfer case kicks into neutral then I have to stop put the transmission in neutral then put it in auto 4 wheel to get to wherever im going. Let me know.

4 Wheel Drive

1 ANSWER

Jacobandnickolas

July, 29, 2009 AT 12:02 AM

It could be the actuator on the transfer case, but to me it sounds like there is an electrical problem. Have you checked the wiring harness to the actuator to make sure it is in good condition, clean and tight?

inkedup

July, 29, 2009 AT 12:25 AM

All the harness and connections are clean and tight any way to test the wires? I have a digital multimeter.

Jacobandnickolas

July, 29, 2009 AT 11:56 AM

If you want, you could have a helper changing the 4wd control in the vehicle to determine if you are getting power (when switched) to the harness.

inkedup

July, 29, 2009 AT 3:19 PM

Thanks for your input. I'm a mechanic by trade. Ive checked all the obvious things. I know its an electrical issue because the four wheel drive system has its own electrical system. The mechanical part is fine no noise or grinding. I'll just continue to replace parts till its fixed.

inkedup

July, 30, 2009 AT 12:37 PM

How do I get my money back. Im glad thats all I donated. I noticed people that didnt donate got better answers. Ill try it.

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Wheel Bearing Replacement
Wheel Bearing Hub Replacement