1998 Chevy Tahoe Brake lights

XPOCDUDE
  • 1998 CHEVROLET TAHOE
Hi there ive got a problem ive replaced the brake switch 3 times thinking they might of been bad, allso replaced the brake fuse, but still dont have any brake lights, they have allways worked till now what could I check or do to fix this problem. Thanks Jeff
Wednesday, October 29th, 2008 AT 9:35 AM

RACEFAN966
Ok you have one of two problems here. Either the turn signal switch is bad or you have bad circuit boards in your tail lights. As long as there is not wiring problems or no one added a trailer light connector and did it wrong or something. Here is the taillight connector plate. If I was going to replace them to find out I would do one first as most parts stores will not take back electrical parts once pluged in.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_228062_1.jpg

Wednesday, October 29th, 2008 AT 10:27 AM
XPOCDUDE
HI YOU RESPONDED TO ME BUT I DONT HAVE TURN SIGNAL PROBLEMS.I HAVE NO BRAKE LIGHTS IVE REPLACED MY BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH LIKE 3 TIMES JUST IN CASE THEY WERE BAD. AN REPLACED THE BRAKE FUSE ALLSO BUT NO BRAKE LIGHTS STILL. WHAT TO CHECK THANKS JEFF
Wednesday, October 29th, 2008 AT 1:48 PM
RACEFAN966
Yes excatly I know what your problem is now please check the circuit boards (pictured in the previous response) in the taillights and still it could be a turn switch. See the turn signal switch is where all the power goes for the brake lights. The power goes through the turn switch then to the brake light light switch that is how the turn switch is able to interupt the brake light to make it blink when you use the turn signals. I hope this helps explain how it works. Get back to me as to what you find. To check the circuit board you may need an ohm meter if you can't find obvious signs of a short or burn on the board.
Thursday, October 30th, 2008 AT 10:34 AM
RACEFAN966
Oh yea one thing to check first do you have power going to the brake light switch?
Thursday, October 30th, 2008 AT 10:36 AM
XPOCDUDE
Thanks for your addvice, you were wright someone addeda trailer hitch an lights, when they did the just about cut through 2 wires in the harness, just enough so over time they came apart to the point were they were just barely makeing contact. I fix the 2 wires an the brakes work great thanks so much for your help. I will letting any one know about your site if they have any problems. Thanks again, Jeff
Saturday, November 1st, 2008 AT 6:57 PM
RACEFAN966
Great glad to hear they are working again. Thanks for the support. It all of you that keep us going. Again thanks and have a great weekend.
Saturday, November 1st, 2008 AT 10:07 PM