No brake lights

BUDSOW
  • 1996 CHEVROLET TAHOE
No brake lights and the bulbs are not burnt out.
Sunday, January 24th, 2010 AT 8:14 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6

There is a stop lamp switch relay that sounds like it has gone out, but to be sure lets run a test using this guide.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
Sunday, January 24th, 2010 AT 9:12 PM
CFESKANICH
  • 1996 CHEVROLET TAHOE
Four wheel drive automatic.

My SUV still has no brake lights. I have changed all fuses, and bulbs also put in a new brake switch and the mechanism blinker switch. Traced wires finding they all have current. What else should I check?
Wednesday, May 30th, 2018 AT 12:08 PM (Merged)
MHALL01
My 1999 Tahoe we have to push the hazard button to get the brake lights to work! Do not know if it will work on yours on not! Push the hazard button in then turn them off and check your brake lights.
UTHNKUNOME27
So down under the dash at the top of the brake pedal is a brake light switch. Did this get replaced? See if the orange wire it hot. If so, check to see if the white wire has power to it once the brake pedal is pressed in. Or to be easier just run a jumper wire from the orange to the white and see if the lights come on.

If all is good and you have power coming to the back lights when the brakes are pressed in, it should be a ground problem or connector issue under the rear bumper area.

Do you still have blinkers and all that?
Is the third brake light working or not?
Do you have tail lights but no brake lights?

I had a heck of a time with mine. Come to find out my white wire was broken about ten inches past where it comes out of the brake switch just above the steering column (shaft). That was a pain getting to so it could be fixed.
BHOLLING
  • 1996 CHEVROLET TAHOE
I have a 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe (four door, four wheel drive, 5.7L, 170,000 miles). The brake lights and rear turn signals decided to stop working all of a sudden. The brake light bar on top works, but the side lamps do not engage when the pedal is depressed. The front turn signals work, but do not flash. I have replaced all the rear bulbs as well as the combination flasher, that did not fix the problem. I am stumped. Can you offer some advice?
RUSTYCROFT
It is strange both sides are out at same time but are you certain one was not working before the other? I worked in a shop were we worked on a lot of these trucks. The problems I have seen are the circuit board that the bulbs plug into are very common. Easy to check pull apart rear tail light assemblies and check circuit board for rust or breaks in circuitry. Could also a wiring harness that goes to the brake light switch it is a pain to get to. The harness is up under dash by pedal follow wires from switch and the harness rubs against steering column brace. Good luck if it is that because it is a pain to repair.