1997 Chevy Suburban Tail light issues

TRS90STANG
  • 1997 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
1997 Chevy Suburban V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I replaced the drivers rear tail light circuit board due to it not working. I picked up the parts from Advance Auto parts, part# 70001. Everything works fine until the headlight switch is turned on. When it's turned on, the reverse lights on the passenger side along with the parking lights and brake lights come on, and on the drivers side, just the reverse light comes on and it's dim. I'm not sure if it would be a grounding issue being everything works fine until the headlight switch is turned on. I'm thinking it would be the headlight switch. I'm a mechanic in the Army, and with our HMMWVs, this type of thing happens and we replace the headlight switch and everything is fine. I would just like to make sure the switch would be the problem before I buy the part and replace it and find out that's not the issue. I have checked the wires at the taillight to make sure they were not grounding out. Thank you for any help with this issue.
Thursday, February 12th, 2009 AT 8:51 AM

Did you check for voltage on the proper wires? The left rear lower lites, brown is for tail-lites wired through the headlite switch. The lower brake lites and turn, yellow, use the same circuit, not at the same time. Black is ground. Sometimes if the ground is faulty it can cause some funny issues.
Thursday, February 12th, 2009 AT 9:11 AM
TRS90STANG
Thanks jdl123, I will check that out. I didn't even think about checking that.
Thursday, February 12th, 2009 AT 9:42 AM