1996 Chevy Suburban Dome light & keyless entry

NICKWA
  • 1996 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
My 1996 Chevrolet Suburban LT's dome lights have a mind of their own. They will come on on their own, sometimes turns off correctly or will stay on. In addition the keyless remote no longer works and the lights on the lighted window switch no longer work.

Any advice would be appreciated before going to the dealer.
Thursday, December 18th, 2008 AT 1:12 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Hello
Thanks for the donation.

The dome light issues sound like a faulty door ajar switch in one of the door jams or inner door panel. You can try spraying some WD40 (or similar product) in all of the door jam latches. This usually is a temporary fix for the issue.

For the keyless remote, does it do anything at all? Lock, unlock, open trunk, panic alarm? If not, I suggest changing the key fob (remote) battery.

Check all fuses for the interior switch lights issue. If these are good, check for loose or broken wires connecting to the switch.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for using 2carpros. Com!
Friday, December 19th, 2008 AT 1:35 AM
NICKWA
I have replaced the door switch, checked the fuses and couldn't find any broken switches. What controls the dimming feature of the dome light?

Both keyless remotes went out the same day. I replaced the batteries and there is nothing, not even a noise. Could the remote module be bad? If so where is it and how do you check it?

Friday, December 19th, 2008 AT 9:46 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
I dig deeper into my resources and have found that the two components that control the key remote and the dome lights. I believe this will fix all three issues at hand. They are right beside each other and both have wires running into a larger set of wires, pictured below.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_62.jpg

Ensure that all three connectors are plugged in completely. If they are, you will have to check for power at the connectors to ensure the components are receiving power supply.
Friday, December 19th, 2008 AT 10:22 AM