2000 Chevy Silverado starting issues

GOLDMAN
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
About 6 months ago my truck began having problems, turing the key would do nothing. The radio works and all the electronics, but when the key is turned past on, nothing happens. I messed around with the fuse box and the starter, and when I was about to give up it just started.

This has occured about once a month since then, and now it is getting more common, it happened twice in the last week.

The starter is not making any sound but there is a click in the electronic box in the engine compartment.
Sunday, May 4th, 2008 AT 7:53 PM

RHALL77
When thjis happends see if you are getting voltage at the starter. Also see if there is voltage coming out of the fuse box. You may have a wire shorting out or a bad connection in the fuse box.
Monday, May 5th, 2008 AT 8:24 AM
GOLDMAN
There is definitely power to the starter at all times, I dont think Im getting power to the solinoid though. I guess it is a short from the box to the solenoid or maybe the solenoid needs to be replaced. Just wondering if someone else has had this problem
Tuesday, May 6th, 2008 AT 10:03 AM
RHALL77
Did you check and see if you were getting power at the solinoid
Tuesday, May 6th, 2008 AT 1:51 PM
GOLDMAN
I really didnt check, I will have to do that next time.

The reason I didnt check is that I try to start it and nothing, I might try 20 times and then for no reason it just cranks, I am still trying to figure out exactly where the issue is and then, bam, were going again.

And it wont happen for a couple weeks. The last time it happened was last week and it has been starting great since.

I think I might have to turn it over to someone that knows, but I know if I bring it in they are going to say that it starts fine, there is nothing to do.

Will it record as an error if they run a diagnostic on it? Even if nothing is wrong when I get it to a computer.
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008 AT 8:57 AM
RHALL77
That system will not record in the PCM.
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008 AT 9:51 AM
GOLDMAN
Yeah, thats what I thought, I guess im just stuck waiting until it dies again and working through things.

Hopefully it will be at home where I can figure out whats happening, thanks for your help
Wednesday, May 7th, 2008 AT 12:42 PM