CHEVY CRANKS BUT NO IDLE

2000 Chevrolet Silverado

samhuntersteph

September, 9, 2009 AT 10:16 AM

2000 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 110, 00 miles

I have a 2000 chevy silverado well taken care of never a problem. I got home last night it was running fine. This morning I crunk it up fine but it quickly just died unless I pumped the gas to keep the rpm's up. It seems to have forgot how to just idle. It does not make any strange sounds and everything appears all good under the hood. I ran the truck about 10 miles and if I let off the gas the rpm's just dives to 0. Any suggestions on the problem would greatly be appreciated.

Dies On Idle

September, 9, 2009 AT 10:21 AM

Welcome to the site, I'd take the throttle-body off and give it a good cleaning. Also check the idle-air system. If you clean the throttle-body, remove the sensors.

Quagmire86

September, 9, 2009 AT 10:48 PM

I had the same exact problem with my 2000 3/4 ton Silverado. Since I had already replace the fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator (gas in the vacuum tube due to torn diphram) I looked elsewhere. I found that the Positive battery cable was caked with the dreaded BLUE corrosion. Pull the cable off of the battery, twist and pull the bolt out of the cable end (with red shield) and then pull the booty/shield off the the cable end. I had tons of corrosion on the braided cable and contact plate causing insufficient power to the engine. I cleaned all of the corrosion off of the cable and adjacent parts and it cured the " Dieing at Idle" problem for me. Good luck.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang