2000 Chevy Silverado Clutch Master Cylinder Plastic Housing

SCHROEDOGG
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 2000 Silverado (4.3L V6 Manual) and today when driving, the clutch pedal suddenly went to the floor and was then just dangling. I discovered that the plastic housing on the INSIDE of the truck that the pedal is attached to had broken where the master cylinder connects to it (the round part that sticks through the firewall). It appears this whole plastic piece needs to be replaced. I have no idea what it's called. My problem, however, is that it appears I have to disassemble the entire inside of the dash just to get it out! It's wedged up under the dash in such a way that it can't be pulled down or twisted out. Does anybody know of an easy way to remove this? Or do I have to take the whole dash support structure apart to get to it? Seems a little strange that a plastic piece like this would be so buried. Also strange that the whole weight of the clutch pedal is being supported by some plastic tabs that can break out.
Tuesday, August 11th, 2009 AT 8:49 PM

SCHROEDOGG
In case anyone else runs into this, I believe I figured it out. You have to pry the plastic piece first out of the hole in the firewall. I used a screwdriver and slowly worked it out and pulled that end of the piece down while forcing the end nearer to me up. Eventually, I was able to squeeze the whole piece (with clutch pedal attached) out from between the dash support structure and the firewall. I'm headed to the dealer tomorrow to see if they have a replacement part.

My concern now is why this broke in the first place and what can I do to prevent another one from breaking. The clutch pedal is pretty hard to push. Could that be indicative of a bad master cylinder?
+3
Tuesday, August 11th, 2009 AT 10:54 PM
SCHROEDOGG
One more follow-up.

I was able to get the part from the dealer ($90 for a little piece of plastic!) And after talking with them decided to go ahead and replace the master cylinder too. After getting everything back together, the pedal was still hard to push. So I had my wife help me do some more bleeding and after a while it got quite a bit better. The pedal became much easier to push. I think the reason the plastic housing broke in the first place was that either I had a bad master cylinder or the clutch wasn't properly bled which led to having to mash the clutch pedal down very hard in order to shift. Doing this over time probably weakened the plastic piece and eventually broke through.
+4
Monday, August 17th, 2009 AT 9:13 AM
EGOLF1980
I had this happen to mine you get the whole master cylinder part for less at auto zone and it comes with a metal rod instead of plastic if you get the dealer part it will eventually happen again
+4
Sunday, March 13th, 2016 AT 10:13 AM