Manual Clutch Adjustment

EBURKETT
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

2006 Chevy Silverado 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 5,500 miles

Since new the clutch pedal must be hard against the firewall to release the clutch. The transmission is hard to shift into 1st or reverse apparently because the clutch is not releasing all the way. The clutch may be dragging even with the pedal depressed but not enough to cause the truck to move.

Just before the warranty expired, Chevrolet replaced the clutch hydraulic slave cylinder on the transmission. For "a while" the clutch was fine and then I realized the clutch linkage was self adjusting back to the too tight condition. At 5,500 (yep, fifty five HUNDRED) miles I'm back to the old problem of having to push the clutch pedal hard against the firewall to shift the transmission into 1st or reverse.

I have a 2006 Silverado 4.3 liter 5 speed and since new there has been the problem of having to push the clutch pedal into the floor mat to get the clutch to disengage. The dealer said that was normal.

Now with 27k miles, the guy I just sold it to is refusing to accept the same diagnosis of 'this is normal' and is insisting that I fix it. So far, I've replaced the clutch master cylinder with no change.

Can I put a shim in the clutch system somewhere to get the clutch to disengage with less pedal travel? Can I lengthen the rod between the pedal and the mater cylinder to get quicker disengagement

Is there a fix?

Saturday, May 22nd, 2010 AT 11:26 PM

XOVANGAM

I called GM's customer care number and complained that even though the time had expired on my warranty, that the problem was there since it was new. You can get the number from the dealer. After a week, GM agreed to pay for the parts and I paid for the labor. They replaced flywheel, clutch plate and slave cylinder. Guy that I sold the truck to said it was better. Cost me $650

SOLUTION FROM Jerry Wagner BELOW

Saturday, September 11th, 2010 AT 6:27 PM
JERRY WAGNER

This is my repair that worked for me after years of lies by gmc and dealers. The incorrect master cylinder was inserted in 2006 gmc sierra 5 speeds built in Silao, Mexico. There is a GMC bulletin number PIP 3864 F, dated Mar. 23, 2007. I got this info from a local dealer who said the part could be installed for $156 plus labor. GMC was aware of the problem but did not tell the purchasers and so caused me nine years of miserable shifting and 77K miles of fighting the transmission. Thanks to an AMS Automotive tech man, a Rock Auto supplier who really knew his parts, I was able to track down the correct part. The correct replacement Clutch Master Cylinder number is 24242325 and can be obtained from www. Gmpartsonline. Com for $99.64 plus shipping.
I needed to remove the circuit box next to the clutch peddle to see what I was doing.
Remove the center nut and used a screw driver pop the plastic clips free. I had to purchase a special tool to uncouple the hydraulic coupling. The shaft on the replacement part is about 3/16 of an inch longer than the incorrect part. The shaft measured about 7.885 in. The white cap on the end of the shaft stayed in the clutch peddle and had to be pried out with a screw driver. I had to really jerk on the cylinder to get it to separate. On installation I used a piece of wood and good smack to get the shaft to push back into the clutch peddle.
This is just one more coverup by General Motors. I have five GM vehicles in my position. Never again. This is another Mexican reason to by a Ford.

+19
Thursday, May 5th, 2016 AT 1:23 PM
CLYDE GODWIN
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • MERGED

2006 Chevy Silverado 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 34000 miles

clutch peddle very close to the floor

Saturday, January 21st, 2017 AT 3:20 AM
MMPRINCE4000
  • MERGED

Clutch is not adjustable. Bleed the system (clutch MC and slave). If problem persists, the slave/clutch MC is bad or there is a leak in system.

-1
Saturday, January 21st, 2017 AT 3:20 AM
KARENTETER
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • MERGED

How do you adjust a slipping clutch?

Saturday, January 21st, 2017 AT 3:20 AM
ASEMASTER6371
  • MERGED

Most cases it is beyond adjustment when slipping. It has to be replaced

Saturday, January 21st, 2017 AT 3:20 AM
RICKY22092
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • MERGED

The truck won't go into gear even with the pedal all the way down and if it is in gear it wants to go even with the pedal all the way down

Thursday, April 20th, 2017 AT 7:31 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

It is non-adjustble unless the pedal height is adjusted wrongly then it is possible to do some adjustment.

Check the clutch fluid level, it vould be low.

Thursday, April 20th, 2017 AT 7:31 PM
RICKY22092
  • MERGED

I have and it's new fluid and full to required level.

Thursday, April 20th, 2017 AT 7:31 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

If the level was low prior to replenishing, air could have gotten into the system or the master cylinder is failing.

Try bleeding the system to see if it helps.

Thursday, April 20th, 2017 AT 7:31 PM
DC7164
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • MERGED

Can you adjust clutch on 1999 silverado
where you have more clutch petal?

Thursday, April 20th, 2017 AT 7:32 PM
  • MERGED

Try adjusting for free play and pedal height

-1
Thursday, April 20th, 2017 AT 7:32 PM
PTUCRAN
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • MERGED

2005 Chevy Silverado 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 70000 miles

How adjust clutch

Thursday, April 20th, 2017 AT 7:32 PM
BRIAN 1
  • MERGED

You cant, its Hydraulic and self adjusting.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Thursday, April 20th, 2017 AT 7:32 PM