CHEVY WON'T STSRT

1991 Chevrolet Silverado

drtracer37

May, 18, 2008 AT 7:53 PM

1991 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 141, 00 miles

Truck wouldn't start one day, rolled over & if I put fuel in carb, it would burn that & stop. I tapped fuel tank w/ rubber mallot and it fired right up. Was ok for 2 weeks until I had to pull the trusty mallot from behind the seat, started right up again but later that day, I had to leave it parked over night at a store. Next day, I replaced fuel pump in tank and thought I
had it fixed until 4 days later, won't start again. I pulled off the filter in front of the tank, and when the key is turned on, gas pours out. I replaced the filter with a new one. Still won't start. I pulled fuel line from carb and rolled engine, Shouldn't fuel be coming out of line? I got nothing.

pear69

May, 19, 2008 AT 5:45 AM

Yes, Your engine has a Throttle Body (TB) not a carburator. There are two fuel lines going to the TB, a feed line and a return line. Make sure you are checking the feed line -- this will the bigger one that comes from your fuel filter.
Being that you tap the tank and the engine starts tells me that the problem may be the fuel pumps ground. A commonly overlooked problem.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado