Removing fuel tank

RTBAMA92
  • 2002 CHEVROLET S-10
6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

How do you remove the fuel tank on a 2002 chevy s10 LS crew cab? I love this site
Sunday, February 28th, 2010 AT 2:03 PM

KEN

You must drain the fuel first here is a video so you can see how to do it.

https://youtu.be/Q5MH2gnyFH0

To remove the tank you have to relieve pressure then drain fuel. Raise and support vehicle and support fuel tank. Remove straps from tank and lower down some, then remove wiring and fuel lines from tank.

Here is a guide that will give you an idea of what you are in for when doing the job.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-electric-fuel-pump

Here is what it will be like on your truck (below)

Tighten the fuel tank shield bolts (2) to 11 N.m (97 lb in) .
Tighten the fuel tank shield nut (4) to 25 N.m (18 lb ft) .
Install the fuel tank shield to crossmember bolts (1) and nuts (6).
Tighten the fuel tank shield bolts and nuts to 23 N.m (17 lb ft) .

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
-2
Sunday, November 26th, 2017 AT 9:07 PM
MATNIC
  • 2002 CHEVROLET S-10
2002 Chevy S-10 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 103, 00 miles

I have a 2002 S10 crew cab PU. I am trying to remove the fuel tank. The Claymers manual shows two straps holding it but mine seems to have a piece with 4 bolts holding it under the tank. Almost seems like the drive shaft needs to come out and the tank should slide out to the side. Any thoughts?
Sunday, November 26th, 2017 AT 9:08 PM (Merged)
SWILLIAMS
Sounds like your vehicle has the optional skid plates on it. Those 4 bolts should come out using a torx bit and some luck. Then you will find the 2 straps that hold the tank in place. When you get the skid plate off you will probably want to grab a cheap die and chase the threads on the bolts that hold the strap. They tend to rust and then the bolts can break off. Not fun.
TRUEFIRE04
Its easyer to pull the bed of to get to the pump.
-1
ED SPORBERT
  • 2003 CHEVROLET S-10
2003 Chevy S-10 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 44000 miles

Over the past 4 months my gas milage has been reduced by 5+ miles per gallon around town. I do not smell gas nor do I notice any difference in throttle pressure. My around town mileage has gone from 16+mpg to as low as 10 mpg. The only thing different has been an oil change. I was using mobil one 5w-30. Then used Shell synthetic 10w-30. The milge started to get less about a month after the oil change. Any ideas?

Updated 12/31/08

Just got back from auto zone. Had them do an error code check. The truck check out okay. There suggestion was to change the brand of gas I was using. What I have been using for the past 10 years has been gas from BJ's. I have not had any problems with there gas. It was there suggestion to put some lucas fuel treatment in the tank and then also change the gas I have been using. The change of gas will take some time as the tank is full. I am planning on running down to less than a 1/4 tank before fill up. Will let you when all this occurs. This may take a month as I do not drive to much in the winter.
I was wondering if all the alcohol in gas nowadays is attracting to much water in the gas? I use an enzyme additive in my boat and small engines for that reason.
IMPALASS
Hello -

To better assist you is your vehicle a Pickup or Blazer. Also is your engine size a 4.3L and the 8th digit of your VIN X?

Next, please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O'Reilly's (OR) and for FREE they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for FREE also they can bring their tester out and check your battery and alternator.

Please get back with me on the above and we will look at some items.
IMPALASS
Hello -

WOW! The Pic came out huge. Sorry.

For some reason your post didn't come back to me. Make sure you use the Reply to Question at the bottom of the post to return your answer.

A decrease in gas mileage can be contributed to a bad coolant engine temperature sensor.

Since you have been getting your fuel at BJs for 10 years, I wouldn't think that is the problem. I have not seen any TSB etc on problems with the alcohol etc. Many of the vehicles now days are so sensitive it wouldn't take much to put them out of running order. Has anyone else that you know of had the same problems from BJs?

I suggest you check the ECT.

If you need more info from me, please make sure you let me know your exact model, is your vehicle a Pickup or Blazer etc. Also is your engine size a 4.3L and the 8th digit of your VIN X?
DRAGON19884
  • 2000 CHEVROLET S-10
I have a part that was found on ground after removal of gas tank of a chevy s10 pickup ls 6 cyc 4.3ltr and no idea were it goes got any ideas? Part number R15713071
SATURNTECH9
Take a look at this website its call out 18 see if it looks like your part. Let me know.
RBRTBOOK
  • 2001 CHEVROLET S-10
2001 Chevy S-10 6 cyl Automatic

Need to lower the fuel tank to remove the fuel pump. Best procedure?
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Its easier just to remove the truck bed on smaller trucks like the s10 then it is remove the tank.
-1
WSM1989@AOL.COM
  • 2001 CHEVROLET S-10
Engine problem
2001 Chevy S-10 100000 miles

gas tank has been tampered with possibly dish soap was put in gas tank. Would it be necessary to replace the fuel module, fuel pump and new filter?
MHPAUTOS
Hi there, depending on how much was put in, you will have to replace the filter, possibly more than once, if the tank is full of fuel it will be a pain to remove and drain, you dont want to run the pump to long to drain tank as it may start to overheat,
You may be able to remove the pump and sender unit to try and syphon out most of the fuel, change the filter and look at draining the tank. As a starter point.