1998 Chevy S-10 Changing out the fuel pump.

JBRSSR
  • 1998 CHEVROLET S-10
I have been told that instead of dropping the gas tank, you can cut a large piece of the bed out over the fuel pump and access it this way. Have you heard of anyone doing this? Were they successful without damaging anything under the bed?

Thanks,
Jim R.
Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 5:35 PM

MASTERTECHTIM
Never heard of that method and dont recommend it. Removing the driveshaft will give you all the room you will need to access tank and thats what I suggest. *Be careful there is a vacuum hose at forward end of tank that needs to be removed when lowering tank. Sometimes I forget and break the plastic fitting in the tank, but they are replaceable if you do break it
Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 7:18 PM
JBRSSR
Why would you not recommend it? My friend has a Chevy Avalanche and he pulled the back seat out, pulled back the carpet and cut a hole. Wouldn't it be simpler with a truck bed?

Tuesday, January 27th, 2009 AT 12:51 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
I think inhe long run you will deystroy the bed and spend just as much time as if you did it the right way
Tuesday, January 27th, 2009 AT 5:25 PM
JBRSSR
You are incorrect. Many have done it. I just did it, put hinges on the piece I cut out and cut the time by 3-4 hours for the repair. This is not good information. I WOULD LIKE MY MONEY BACK, BUT I CANNOT FIND ANYWHERE ON THE WEBSITE THAT TELLS ME HOW TO DO IT. UP FRONT, IT SAID IF I DID NOT LIKE THE RESPONSE, I WOULD BE REFUNDED. PLEASE DO SO.

MANY HAVE DONE THIS AND IT DOES NOT DESTROY THE BED, BUT IN FACT CUTS THE DOWN TIME ON THE NEXT TIME YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE PUMP TO ABOUT 30 MINUTES.

YOU ARE GRAVELY MISTAKEN.
Thursday, January 29th, 2009 AT 10:24 PM
ISHEE77
I've only taken about an hour to an hour and a half to replace the fuel pump by dropping the tank. You can cut a hole if you prefer, just be careful not to damage the connections, tank, or lock ring.
Friday, January 30th, 2009 AT 1:12 AM
MASTERTECHTIM
We will gladly give you your money back. We are not hack mechanics and we dont promote being a hack. Removing the fuel tank will take less than a hour and you would not have had to cut a hole in your truck. I will make sure your money is refunded.
Friday, January 30th, 2009 AT 11:33 AM
2CARPROS MIKE
We have refunded your donation. We understand that there is more than one way to repair your vehicle.
Friday, January 30th, 2009 AT 1:18 PM
JBRSSR
I think I hurt "Mastertechtim's feelings. Sorry, but an individual working from home cannnot drop a gas tank in 1 hour. You have to jack up the vehicle, drain the tank, etc, etc. Etc. If you are a professionional mechanic and have a rack and the proper tools, I believe it would be a miracle! The professional mechanics I spoke with before doing it said it takes at least 3 hours at home. I'm not new to working on cars and I'm certainly not a professional, but you are just wrong! I haven't ruined anything. Now, te next time I will be able to change it out in probably less than 30 minutes.

Sorry I bothered you. Should have known better!
Friday, January 30th, 2009 AT 5:12 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
Just out of curiosity, what did you use to cut the hole in the bed?
Friday, January 30th, 2009 AT 6:09 PM
JBRSSR
Jigsaw, then cleaned it up, installed high voltage tape around the edges. Hinged one side and supported the other three. I'm in Construction, and have my techniques also. Maybe, I should ask you for a donation? Just kidding. It really does work well. If you go online and look at all the people who own Avilanche's who have pulled out their back seats, cut theses holes, you would be amazed at how many. It takes nothing away from the appearance.I have carpet in my bed with a cover. You just have to be careful when cutting. Some of the lines are within a couple of inches. Really. It's a grreat idea. These auto are known for fuel pump problems.

Hope this helps with any other onlookers!
Friday, January 30th, 2009 AT 7:25 PM
ISHEE77
Well, I know that I've changed countless amounts of in-tank fuel pumps, and after the first four or five times I've taken the time down to about an hour to an hour and a half. I time each job I do so I charge correctly and don't overcharge by rounding up the minutes or something like that. I'm not a full-on pro, and I do it at home as well. Oh well.
Friday, January 30th, 2009 AT 10:01 PM